Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Need your opinion/assessment on possible project I'm thinking about ...

xDJOHx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX/VZ
$100k is a starting figure, be prepared to double that budget if costs blow out, which they normally do. In that $100k budget if it can be done for that you will be doing a lot yourself. So if you are not an expert fabricator you better learn. If you are not skilled in mechanics you better learn that as well.

Now we will all be waiting to see if you even go ahead. Many a new member has come on here with grand plans of doing a big budget build. Very few have followed it through, and no one that I have seen who has or is in the process of building something of this scale.

We have a few full resto Commodore builds getting done, and these are probably $70k + builds and the most custom work they are doing is fitting big diffs and tubs.

I'm keen to see it done, but dreams and reality are worlds apart.

Good luck, you're going to need it.
Much appreciated
If, IF, I get the ball rolling I'll keep ya's posted.

Just needed to know if it's even possible.
Every time I've mentioned the idea to someone: big grin

Not like I'd be expecting to have it done this year, & then use it as my daily transport.

Got 2 VX's: one's roadworthy: I'll keep using that one as daily transport.
Other ones not roadworthy: Pretty open on the idea of turning it into a V8 four wheel drive ...

Or, or, just chuck Dads VK V8 into the Hilux. V8 80's Hilux, with a Commodore engine
*shrug*

Last edited:

xDJOHx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX/VZ
Alright ...
Can you guys help me figure out a hypothetical ball-park price range for the Hilux?

If I wanna chuck the 308 in it, how much ya reckon ? $10k? $50k?
But if I chuck the 308 in it, I'd need a new diff, right? Anything else? $?
Quarter panels, doors etc: need to be replaced, right? No repairs? $500-$1000?
Chassis: smash repairs can pull it apart & derust it right?
Haven't had much of a detailed look underneath, but from what I've seen: basic/superficial $1000?

Thanks in advance

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
The bloke I sold my old lux to brought it for the transfer case he had a 253 lux with a broken transfer case 3 days after he brought mine he had 2 luxs with broken transfer cases what transfer case that wil fit under the floor of the old hilux can stand up to a v8?
If they will even let you put a 308 in it it will drink fuel . Id guess closer to $20k for a panel shop to repair and respray the body thats before any mechanicals and the engineers report.
Unless you want to spend a huge amount of money and work on it for the next 5 years forget about it.

xDJOHx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX/VZ
Ok.
The bloke I sold my old lux to brought it for the transfer case he had a 253 lux with a broken transfer case 3 days after he brought mine he had 2 luxs with broken transfer cases what transfer case that wil fit under the floor of the old hilux can stand up to a v8?
If they will even let you put a 308 in it it will drink fuel . Id guess closer to $20k for a panel shop to repair and respray the body thats before any mechanicals and the engineers report.
Unless you want to spend a huge amount of money and work on it for the next 5 years forget about it.
Hypothetically, forget the V8.
Let's keep it simple.
How bout just getting the Hilux roadworthy?
Expected cost(s)?

No point considering chuckin a V8 in it, or VX shell on it. Gotta start with ABC, before XYZ ...

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Best get an estimate from a panel shop near you for a price, rather than asking members to pull out their guessometers and use their ex-ray vision to determine the extent of repairs needed that can't be seen from a photo.

xDJOHx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX/VZ
Best get an estimate from a panel shop near you for a price, rather than asking members to pull out their guessometers and use their ex-ray vision to determine the extent of repairs needed that can't be seen from a photo.
... good point

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
If you really want to go down this path, speak to an engineer, they will be the ones to guide you on this properly.

Be prepared when they say no, then ask them the reasons behind it.

xDJOHx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX/VZ
If you really want to go down this path, speak to an engineer, they will be the ones to guide you on this properly.

Be prepared when they say no, then ask them the reasons behind it.
Cheers
Yeah, from my point of view I've gotta prioritise getting the Hilux de-rusted & reconditioned to a roadworthy registration level, before I think about chuckin a V8 in it, or VX shell on it ...

All good, I get it.
Not planning/expecting this to all be done in time for Christmas this year, or next. Got bigger priorities before any of this

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Save you're money and buy a good second hand Hilux. It will be way cheaper, and lets face it. When reality bites big budget builds rarely go ahead. Shame, because I was hoping you would be the first one to actually pull off the mammoth build that we hear people saying they will do and then they disappear into cyber space and are never heard from again. :(

Reactions: Lex

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
To do what you are dreaming of will be challenging for even the most seasoned car modifier. It’s going to require a huge budget. So with that, I’d suggest spending the would be huge budget on restoring the VX to factory almost new condition and that Hilux, we’ll get it back to its former glory as is. Motor and all.

Check out Flip My Ride on the YouTubes. That Hilux partly melted the local car loving internet when it was finished. He sold that at a healthy profit. No shortage of people (and himself) saying to keep it. It was an absolute gem. People throwing him Shakas where ever he went. That is the kind of future you’d want for any Hilux.

You’ll learn good skills. Welding, panel beating, painting. Skills that can take you on to a lifetime of being able to fix and make things.

You’re not going to get that slapping two run down cars together and turning them into a dangerous circus act. Without paying for mad skills to achieve it, you need to start looking at other things. Dont leave your Dad yelling at you saying, “What the fk is that!?”