Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[General] [VP - VZ] How To Put Together An IRS Diff DIY Style + How To Identify An LSD

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 6ltr ute, VP Calais and HJ Prem
Getting the bearing of the pinion is a PITA. although it's a little easier with the proper bearing pullers/attachments.
Tell me about it! I might have a look around for some bearing pullers. Was east enough to get on my new pinion, but fked if I ever need to take any off lol.

immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX s2 Calais S/C
Yeah, in a lot of industrial applications there are 2 small cut outs ground into the bearing seat to get pullers behind the bearing but I guess they didn't really think that the diff bearings would ever be changed in the normal life of a diff so they didn't care.

The easiest way to get the bearings on is to heat them up, about 80 or 90° C as well as chucking the pinion in the deep freezer for a few days (payees to have some welding gloves handy). At work we use and induction heater for the really important jobs where bearings need to go on without having to tap or press the buggers home.

One trick I haven't tried yet is to remove the bearing rollers from the race and then run a quick weld around it and then try to leaver it off quickly. I have done the reverse at work when we have needed to remove the outer bearing shell from a housing, once the weld cools it contracts the bearing shell enough to be able to get the bugger out.

Vs hsv manta

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs hsv manta
So can I get a little more info on this pre load of bearings please

I'm building a m80 with eaton tru trac centre, 4:11 gears, new bearings, harrop cover and possibley G force inner axel hubs

The pinion gear is straight fowars to get pre load right, getting the back lash and pattern are straight foward

But with the carrier bearing pre load is there any tricks anyone can advise me ??

<3myvyute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY ute LN3 M35
Good write up WazzaVN, very helpful.

I have a question. Can anyone tell me the size, (diameter and thread pitch) of the 4 bolts that bolt the IRS housing into the vehicle please.

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
So can I get a little more info on this pre load of bearings please

I'm building a m80 with eaton tru trac centre, 4:11 gears, new bearings, harrop cover and possibley G force inner axel hubs

The pinion gear is straight fowars to get pre load right, getting the back lash and pattern are straight foward

But with the carrier bearing pre load is there any tricks anyone can advise me ??
sorry i didn't see this post. i'm not to sure what you mean by carrier bearing pre load. all i did with the carier bearings was put them on the carier where they slot in. or are you talking about the bearings that the axles go through that screw into the side of the housing. they are what sets the backlash so you just need to play around with them till the lash is right then lock them into place with those clips.

Good write up WazzaVN, very helpful.

I have a question. Can anyone tell me the size, (diameter and thread pitch) of the 4 bolts that bolt the IRS housing into the vehicle please.
Not to sure what the thread is but i know they're 17mm.

Irukanji

101% Lunacy
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT Exec LS1 A4
Good write up, gonna give it a crack in a few months instead of chucking this old diff out, would be a good learning experience I think and an excuse to buy some new tools and other goodies.

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
Good write up, gonna give it a crack in a few months instead of chucking this old diff out, would be a good learning experience I think and an excuse to buy some new tools and other goodies.
Cool man. Keep your eyes peeled for a cheap LSD on ebay or scum tree. I got a second Hand LSD for 50 bucks once. If you can find one for cheap enough it's well worth it. Especially if it's a 3.08 diff aswell, they're usually out of auto's so less likely to be thrashed. Less clutch dumps and all. The one I got was still pretty tight. Even chirped a bit under throttle still.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Purchased a second hand 3.08 and got a set of 3.45 gears from Immortality.
Any tips for getting the old pinion gear out of the housing? It is in TIGHT!

immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX s2 Calais S/C
Yeah, you need to make an adaptor plate to hold the flange whilst you undo the pinion nut. I have one here if you wanna borrow it.

You getting to work on swapping over those gears?

I've made up tools to undo the bearing hubs and pull the stub shafts out too if you need em.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Hey mate,

Rattle gun got nut off easy enough, pinion would't come out though. I soaked it in CRC and the liquid just sat there. Gave it an hour or so and went back with more hammer enthusiasm, slid out easy as after that. Didn't even need the extra enthusiasm.
Crow bar popped the stubs out easily.

Thanks for the write up wazza. I made the same tool as you with stock alternator adjuster bracket and standard exhaust bolts. I also said
"how da hell do i get dis out?!?!?!?
when I first looked in there too.