Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VP V8 coolant temp sensor wire?? help

jimmyd17

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Adventra LS1
hey guys.

i'm almost finished my VP V8 full rebuild. just got it running, but gotta sort out a couple of things.

there is a single green wire with a plug coming from the wiring loom just above the water pump, and under the throttle body. where does this wire plug in to? i've had the car in a million bits for a while and can't remember where/how this wire goes and can't find where it would go. my temp guage isn't working, which i believe is reaking havoc with the ECU cos when it warms up a bit, it runs like crap, then the engine light comes on and the idle revs slightly higher and smooths right out and runs better while the engine light is on, but then the light will go out and run like crap again. (ignition timing is correct - 10 degrees BTDC).

looking from the front of the car, to the left of the coolant temp sensor is a little gold nobby thing which is screwed into the intake manifold. what is it and is there something that is meant to be attached to that, which this green wire is supposed to plug into perhaps? maybe i'm missing something??

here is a pic of what i'm talking about.. (ps: the plug on the green wire in the foreground looks bigger than it is because it was very close to the lens when i took the photo)

thanks,
James

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
yes thats for the green wire to go on for the temp gauge wont effect engine running the other one beside it is for the ecu to get its readings

jimmyd17

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Adventra LS1
oh okay... thanks for that delcowizzid. hmm there must be another reason why the ECU is cracking the sads. i'll check the codes it throws out and go from there.

i still dont know how/where or what i need to plug in the green wire for the temp guage though :confused:

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
it slides over the round part of that sender

jimmyd17

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Adventra LS1
ah i got it now. thanks for that. feel a bit silly haha, it looked like a different type of plug fitting. it just slots on sideways over the end of the nobby gold temp sensor. here is a photo of how it goes on for anyone else wondering. my temp guage works now :)

cheers.