Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VP V8 Auto trans problems..

jimmyd17

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Adventra LS1
Just drove my old wagon for the first time since about january after pulling it to bits a full engine rebuild. about the only thing i didn't touch was the transmission (apart from a new filter and pan gasket while it was out).

I don't know much about auto transmissions, so any help here would be muchly appreciated!

Now, the trans was working perfectly before i pulled anything out. it now seems to work fairly normally when it is cold, and not under load. for example - driving slightly down hill when cold, it went, 1st, 2nd, 3rd no problem, but not into 4th for some reason. it wasn't slipping too much, but then when it warms up and i come to a hill, it won't even go into 3rd gear and tends to slip a fair bit. and sometimes will even stay in 1st and not want to go into second.

the trans fluid dipstick is showing full when its hot and in park.

i can't see how this will make any difference, but i am unsure if i've got the trans cooler lines the right way around where they plug into the radiator. i'm assuming that doesnt matter which direction the fluid runs through the radiator?? thats about all i can think of that could possibly be different than when it came out.

As for the rest of the driveline, flywheel & torque converter are unchanged, the tailshaft is untouched and the only difference is i changed the open wheel centre in the diff for an LSD centre (crownwheel & pinion are still original)

hopefully i've covered enough info.
cheers,
James

vr1uz-fe

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vr berlina
i am sorry to say you need a trans rebuild

in a car of this age the clutch's and bands will be stuffed the clutche's will be flaking and the bands almost worn out

i had my box rebuilt a few months ago now ive got my car at work and am about to put the new box in i have two if you are wondering

i actually brought it in today after a long stint stting around the best place for cars as they are money pit's

Jacko84

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina soon to be 5L
trans rebuild mate shes old and worn out needs new band clutches seal and orings full rebuild and she will be fineprob cost u 2500 3000

jimmyd17

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Adventra LS1
thanks vr1uz-fe.. ahh bugger! that doesn't sound good. i don't understand how it could have been working perfectly prior to pulling it out, and then all of a sudden crapped itself just sitting there without being driven. i'm still running the new engine in. its never seen full throttle.

perhaps an excuse for a manual conversion hmmm

ovp92

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina 5.0L
Im in the same boat, full trans rebuild for a th700 box i got quoted just last week you're looking at around the 2000 dollar mark and thats without labour from someone decent. Even wreckers ones are around the 800 dollar mark (if you're lucky enough to find one) being a V8 and all, V6's are a dime a dozen. Then again being a wrecker you could have the same problem all over again soon enough. May as well bite the bullet and spend the $$$.

jimmyd17

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Adventra LS1
good news, the trans is starting to work better. i found one of the cooler lines to the radiator had a slight leak from a dodgy hose clamp, so it was losing a bit of fluid which may have been causing some problems. i fixed that and put a bottle of trans/fix/soften seals/etc and it seemed to help. its almost back to driving normally, although it still doesnt shift into 2nd as early as it should. but anyway, i haven't given up on this trans just yet. if i have to bight the bullet and spent money on it, i'd probably just do a manual conversion and be done with it. i'd rather not have to pull the trans out again though! i'll see how it goes.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
did you adjust the kickdown cable properly after fitting the new engine

jimmyd17

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Adventra LS1
i just put the kickdown cable back how it was, but i had a thought yesterday. the kickdown cable may be causing problems. i remembered the bracket for the kickdown cable on the engine got slightly bent from when i was lifting the engine out with chains from an engine crane. i reckon it may be slightly out from its propper position. i'll have a look at it when i get a chance.

zskinner

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN CalaisV 6.0L
yeah mate definately check out kickdown cable. doesnt really explain how your tranny acts differently at different temperatures but if its just a couple of mm too left or too right then it will change when the car wants to change gears..... you really need to fine-tune it by going for small drives up the road and back until you've got it just how you like it :thumbsup:

jimmyd17

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Adventra LS1
hmmm yeah i dunno why its behaving differently when its cold and hot.

i drove it again today and this is how it behaved....
no slippage in gears, drove off fine in 1st, changed into 2nd a tad later than it should, then changed into 3rd straight away after second way earlier than it should have. i gave it about 3/4 throttle at a lower speed in 3rd, and it kicked back to 2nd more or less how it should... however, then it would not go back into 3rd until i eased it up to around 100km/h down a hill with a low throttle percentage.

i drove it later again when it was cold, and it did more or less the same thing. it was in 3rd going up a hill at about 70km/h and started to warm up, and all of a sudden dropped back to 2nd without any extra load or accelerator. it still will not shift into 4th ever.

i am scratching my head at this one... perhaps the kickdown cable isn't quite right and causing some of the problem, but it doesn't seem like it could be causing all of the problem. the only good news is, its not slipping when its in gears anymore and seems to be driving like it used to apart from not getting in the right gears. hmmmm