Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN Auto Changeover NEED HELP!!! :(

Discussion in 'VN - VP Holden Commodore (1988 - 1993)' started by Paul_grima, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Paul_grima

Paul_grima New Member

Members Ride:
    VT Exec
    Hey guys im looking for any kind of help i can get with this.
    Recently i bent the chassis in my series 1 Vn commodore executive.
    It has a decent auto, motor and tailshaft, diff etc..
    The car is not fixable or safe to drive.
    I have pickd up a series 2 Vn Calais needing a geabox n tailshaft.
    I am still learning about cars but i am pretty good at most things i have attemped ex.. brakes, rotors, axles, steering rack, exhaust, controll arms, bushes and more..

I am looking for any help or guides on changing over the transmission (auto) from the executive to the calais. i have trolley jacks and car stands. also enough tools..
    If anyone can help me it would be geat;y appreciated. also if theres anything i need to know about the tailshaft.

Thanks alot in advance.

Paul :)

2. Coast_Calais

Coast_Calais sick of the idiots here

Members Ride:
    varies
    if you want something for reference along the way, I highly recommend a gregories manual or similar. It really pays off, and is a great guide.
    And a trans service kit (gaskets filter oil ect) while you're at it, and probably replace universals and center bearing on tail shaft while you're there...

Otherwise, my experience provided no major secrets, just have beer, a radio, loads of carby cleaner and some mates nearby...

3. Paul_grima

Paul_grima New Member

Members Ride:
    VT Exec
    Thanks mate ill have to invest in a manual. Yeh i have 1 mate whos willing to help me, is the carby cleaner just to help undo the bolts? also is the tailshaft fairly easy? cheers bud.

4. Pub247

Pub247 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Ford Fairmont
    youll be able to use your auto and tailshaft from original car pretty much just a simple swap over job.

Remove tailshaft 4 bolts at diff plus centre bearing mount. Slides out fo gearbox (careful fluid coming out.

Unbolt 6 or so bolts holding gearbox in. remove wiring plugs kickdown cable and unbolt trans fluid lines.

Then install is similar making sure you take note of slots on torque convertor line up with pump

5. Coast_Calais

Members Ride:
    varies
    Carby cleaner is to clean all the longterm build up, but can be expensive if you just spray heaps and don't brush... other wise, some petrol and a paint brush when it's out will clean it up very shmick...
    tailshaft is easy, just have a plug ready for rear of trans...

6. Paul_grima

Paul_grima New Member

Members Ride:
    VT Exec
    Thanks dude that sounds farly straight forward. appreciate it man.

7. Paul_grima

Paul_grima New Member

Members Ride:
    VT Exec
    Thanks man yeh ill do that for sure, what do u mean by have a plug ready for rear of trans. sorry if i im annoying u with questions.

8. Pub247

Pub247 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Ford Fairmont
    thats when you pull the tailshaft out fluid will come out i find plastic bag and duct tape works well if your quick

9. Coast_Calais

Members Ride:
    varies
    As above, yes for fluid.. anything you come up with works well. I have a cap used on steel reo-bar (bright yellow safety caps) and it lives in my tool box as a trans butt-plug...

10. Paul_grima

Paul_grima New Member

Members Ride:
    VT Exec
    Thanks guys i understand now. Is there much to know when bleeding the lines?

11. Pub247

Pub247 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Ford Fairmont
    not really needed gearbox has a breather at top where itll push out any excess air build up

12. Coast_Calais

Members Ride:
    varies
    Yep, all I did was run it a short time and recheck fluid levels after the any air was run out. Can check trans cooler by removing top line slightly to bleed any trapped air up the front...

13. wortus

wortus Active Member

Members Ride:
    VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
    the hardest part will be unbolting the gearbox from the engine. Most VN's have this heavy cast bell housing cover/brace and you need to remove this to disconnect the torque converter from the flex plate (I would try to pull the torque converter out with the gearbox). To get the cast bell housing cover/brace off your going to have to take off the engine pipes between the manifolds and the cat, unbolt the steering rack from the cross member and the steering shaft and pull it back and youer going to also need to remove the starter motor (make sure you disconnect the battery first or there will be sparks).
    Depending on how sagged your engien mounts are you may have to jack up the engine to get the bell housing cover/brace out between the sump and cross member.
    It will also be easier to turn the engine to remove the torque converter to flex plate bolts if you take out the spark plugs.

as for dropping the gearbox get a trolley jack adaper so it doesn't fall off or rig up a tie down strap and a bit of flat steel on your jack foot.
    I'd probably drain the gearbox as when the filler tube falls out it will go all over the place, so drain the box and replace the sump. Undo the shift linkage, speedo wires, tail shaft and support it on a jack and tie it to the jack then remove it's crossmember and lower it down and backwards making sure the torque converter doesn't come off the input shaft. you may want to rig up a device to hold it in place, a bit of metal and a bolt through one of the holes on the front of the bellhousing for example?