Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VK Commodore Wiring

Discussion in 'VB - VK Holden Commodore (1978 - 1985)' started by MY_84_VK, Feb 2, 2010.

1. MY_84_VK

MY_84_VK New Member

Members Ride:
    VK Berlina/VX S Pac
    Just wondering if anybody knows if the VK 6 Cylinder carby engine wiring is the same as the V8?
    If anybody has a pic of the wiring for the 6 cylinder carby model that would be extremely helpful....
    Cheers

2. VK SL 3800

VK SL 3800 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VK SL 5spd
    go to VKberlina's site, pretty sure you'll find it there. And the engine wiring harness is different between the 6 and 8 because 6's have EST ie computer controlled timing, and is sort of integrated in with the rest of the engine harness. Im positive that the connector at the top of the fire wall near where your speedo cable goes in is the same between both and they just run a different harness from their incorporating the EST as well, but the wires for the EST run back through the firewall at the same spot where the fusebox harness runs through the firewall, bit hard to explain, you will also notice that where the EST wires run through the firewall there will be a blanking plug on V8 models. So on EST engines you will see the main engine harness run back to two spots, and V8's only 1- the harness at the top near speedo cable.
    You can turn a 6 into an 8 reasonably easily, electrically.

VK Berlina Project

3. MY_84_VK

MY_84_VK New Member

Members Ride:
    VK Berlina/VX S Pac
    Cheers Buddy that is going to be a world of help!