Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Commodore tailshaft replacement uni-joint

Discussion in 'VF Holden Commodore (2013 - 2017)' started by Robbo77, Jul 12, 2019.

1. Robbo77

Robbo77 New Member

Members Ride:
    2014 VF SV6
    G'day all.

Vehicle: 2014 VF SV6 - LFX 6 speed auto
    Issue: buggered centre uni-joint causing shuddering etc.

Questions:
    -would anyone happen to be from around the general area and know of any or where to go for a good second hand tailshaft/installation etc.
    -from which vehicles would a second hand shaft fit mine (VF I/VF II, wagon, ute, auto/manual, SV6/Evoque/SS etc. even VE's would the shaft from a VE fit a VF etc.) If anyone has knowledge on this.
    -Can the centre uni-joint alone be fixed/replaced? Or is it correct that the entire shaft must be replaced
    -Is it best to install an all new shaft or try to find a decent condition second hand shaft from a wreckers or the likes? - what should be expected reasonable pricing?

My mechanic has told me that the centre uni-joint of my Tailshaft is buggered. This is the suspected cause of a shuddering effect whilst driving the car and I'm wanting to get it fixed as I've been dealing with it a while now.
    Enquiries with Holden resulted in the advice that the entire tail shaft must be replaced as they reckon they're unable to replace the uni-joint alone. They quoted $1200 for a new shaft and roughly $200 install.
    Not wanting to spend this much so prefer to go second hand but not wanting to get ripped off or receive another shaft in poor condition.

Thanks a lot for the time and appreciate any advice.
    Cheers

2. Smitty

Smitty Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Gen-F R8 Tourer wagon, VK Clubbie race car
    $200 install.. for a 20 minute Job? (and no, the exhaust does not need removing)
    wow...

if you were here (Melbourne) I would suggest a chat with Hardy Spicer who make them
    but
    surely the GC would have somewhere that repairs/fixes/balances tailshafts? Google?

3. the_boozer

the_boozer no more VK

Members Ride:
    Prado
    probably wouldn't cost much more to change the centre bearing would it?

4. losh1971

losh1971 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Pretty sure the VE centre bearing was replaceable. Not sure why they would have changed it, just on the last model of RWD Dore.

5. losh1971

losh1971 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6