Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Supply Voltage for Low Impedance Injectors

Discussion in 'V6 Development And Modification' started by Possum, Oct 30, 2019.

1. Possum

Possum New Member

Members Ride:
    VE
    Gday
    I am putting low impedance (2.5 ohm) SIDI direct injection injectors out of a VE Commodore into a completely different engine. I have built a new control system and would like any info please relating to the std injector supply voltage or inline resistors etc ? Thank you for your time, Possum

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
  2. _R_J_K_

_R_J_K_ Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Zenki S14
    Can't help you out, but would be keen to see what you're doing and putting it in. Did you just adapt the existing injector rail and secondary fuel pump to the new engine? Mounting them in heads which didn't have direct injection before?

3. VS_Pete

VS_Pete Donating Member

Members Ride:
    VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
    Send him a PM

4. Possum

Possum New Member

Members Ride:
    VE
    Thank you for your reply RJK - what we are doing is a bit different. We have achieved a single cylinder, operational proof of concept of a Twin-Stroke Compression-less hydrogen engine cycle that produces steam only emissions. (That is Twin-Stroke not 2-stroke - other than piston going down and up, the cycles are completely different Our engine does not induct and compress air so it does not produce NOx emissions and we have eliminated half of the engine cycle. Our cycle sequence is power-discharge. That is a full power stroke every revolution without any compression losses. Our next step is to engage our Compression Replacement System, CRS, and give this first little engine its grunt. We will be able to control the amount of torque electronically within 1 cycle. We can convert existing 4-stroke engines into our Twin-Stroke cycle. We have more info on our Crowd Funding page if you want to have a look. Please feel free to make a donation to help us get this project over the line. We are keen to speak with all interested parties Have a great day :cool:

https://readyfundgo.com/project/zero-emission-hydrogen-engine-conversion-prototype/

_R_J_K_ likes this.
  5. shane_3800

shane_3800 Active Member

Members Ride:
    vr commo
    Excuse my ignorance, but are you injecting oxygen and hydrogen? You said you're not using air so the only way to complete a burn is with a oxygen soruce external to the engines natrual intakes.

I assume you wrote that reply wrong as mention you cam convert a 4 cycle engine which inhales air.

To answer your question about direct injectors you need an advanced computer that can supply a massive spike of voltage for a small amount of time to crack the injector. It's not as simple as sending voltage to a solenoid and getting a response of it eating amps. You need to control the power delivery as the pressures tje injectors work at require high crack pressures.

6. Possum

Possum New Member

Members Ride:
    VE
    Thanks Shane, I think we have pretty much got the injectors sorted now. I tweaked some other parameters which allowed us to reduce the open time. Yes we inject hydrogen and oxygen and the engine produces water emissions only.

The engine in the video was a 4-stroke and now has a Twin-Stroke Compression-less cycle. I had to rebuild the camshaft to the specs I had predicted. Now there are no intake or compression strokes. The next development Objective is to engage the Compression Replacement System, CRS, to give the engine full torque. This system also will increase efficiency by recycling conventionally wasted heat energy and feeding it back into the engine. With full torque implemented into the power-discharge, power-discharge... cycle we are very keen to see what sort of performance we can achieve. Can't wait to take the learning from this engine into get into our first multi-cylinder engine.

Please share the Crowd Funding link. We have a tech newsletter as one of the rewards. Please help us bring this exciting new prospect into the mix. Thank you :cool:

7. shane_3800

shane_3800 Active Member

Members Ride:
    vr commo
    Wouldn't it be easier to just make a small hydrogen turbo jet and charge a battery for an electric car? Than you still get more loss than Toyota's fuel cell.
    Not trying to be rude just wondering what the advantage of an IC over jet over fuel cell is?

8. Possum

Possum New Member

Members Ride:
    VE
    Firstly, thank you for "Not trying to be rude". That is such an easy little statement that it says volumes. More statements like that would take the downward spirals we often see in social media conversations.

Right back at the start I compared a wide range of options for average people to transition to alternative energy One of the main factors affecting an energy transition is, disruption, which is closely related to $ outlay. For any alternative to be successful it has to be affordable and benefit for the average person/family/business. I don't believe any currently available options can offer either. My analyses kept returning hydrogen as the best option - but only if there was a more affordable, zero emission, Gas-To-Work option. Obviously if there was a means to achieve zero emissions by converting existing ICE's the cost and disruption would be minimised - so that is what I set out to develop. As the new engine cycle started evolving I could see it was a winner so I filed a patent application and formed our company group. Having now achieved an operational proof of concept has been a significant milestone for us. We are keen to attract support and ramp up development. Whether considering applications from a fishing trawler, a D8, to a VE sedan, I do not believe there will be a more affordable and less disruptive, zero emission option, than converting existing engines. Through all of that, the kid in me can't wait to give these engines their balls and see what they can do :cool:

9. Possum

Possum New Member

Members Ride:
    VE
    Gday Pete, I am not sure who this comment is directed to? Thank you :cool: