Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Supercharged or not supercharged

Discussion in 'VT - VX Holden Commodore (1997 - 2002)' started by Keeffe, Nov 24, 2008.

1. Keeffe

Keeffe New Member

Members Ride:
    None ATM
    Hi crummydoore lovers,

I am going to buy a VX2 S I have two in my sights one blown and one not.
    I am worried about fuel costs in the blown VX, however I can buy them with identical K's 150,000 and for the same price.

Will I see a huge difference at the pump if I drive the blown girl smartly.

Cheers guys.

2. stocky

stocky New Member

Members Ride:
    1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
    drive it normally and the fuel difference would be minimal. definately go the super 6 though

3. feg

feg New Member

Members Ride:
    VT S S/C
    No contest if you ask me, If you want economy get something else. I would recommend the supercharged 6, but forget about driving it economically. If you are like me you end up giving it a bit of stick, just to hear that whistle.

It's just too much fun! In theory you could get good economy but it I don't think it will ever be as good as a NA 6.

4. fitz_vt

fitz_vt Pass Me A Wrench.....

Members Ride:
    VT Commodore SII Olympic Edition
    for me it was almost the same choice in a Vt until i found out that you need a 95 RON or Premium petrol which is really expensive

5. Full Spectrum

Full Spectrum Bro it's a VW your Audi!

Members Ride:
    Berlina V6
    A man needs to be blown !.

I have seen a Super6 with about 300kw run 14.5l/100 average. Now to me that's pretty good. But it does depend on how you drive it:D. With a pulley upgrade slapping down the door with 450Nm+. You can't help yourself:p.

6. fitz_vt

fitz_vt Pass Me A Wrench.....

Members Ride:
    VT Commodore SII Olympic Edition
    oh yes nothing like the feel of raw power,

Full Spectrum likes this.
  7. Keeffe

Keeffe New Member

Members Ride:
    None ATM
    Guys I have been looking at the fuel usage on redbook and for a stock vx2 they claim 6.6 on the highway and for the SV6 7.4. I am sure these values are for a car driving down hill with a tail wind and the engine off. But 14.5 litre per hundred is alot more than the 7.4 on the highway lol. I would be better off with a 5.7 if the SV6 uses that much. All I want is a cheap family sedan and for $7500 a fully loaded blown S pack with 150,000 ks sounds good but not at 14.5 litres per hundred. :( Magna, Maxima, Camry?

8. feg

feg New Member

Members Ride:
    VT S S/C
    Yes thats a good point, It does sort of suck seeing a cheaper price for fuel right in front of your eyes as you have to pump in expensive stuff! I only run ultimate in mine... even more expensive!

9. johnvtls1

johnvtls1 New Member

Members Ride:
    E92 BWM 335I
    get the 5.7 for sure. will be better then the super 6 from what iv herd.

10. stocky

stocky New Member

Members Ride:
    1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
    how is it really expensive? its an extra fuel dollars on a fuel that you should run on any engine, whether or not its supercharged. the additional kilometres gained per tank cover any extra cost anyway

11. feg

feg New Member

Members Ride:
    VT S S/C
    Take them all for a drive. Then decide. Also I think you mean SC6 not SV6, thats alot later a model?

12. feg

feg New Member

Members Ride:
    VT S S/C
    Yeah the ls1 would be the choice, but there is extra layout but you are looking at better resale.

13. Keeffe

Keeffe New Member

Members Ride:
    None ATM
    I can buy a standard VYii with 100,000 on it for $8500 too might be the better choice

14. chargedvx6

chargedvx6 Active Member

Members Ride:
    VY SII HBD Calais L67
    Super 6 hands down. The fact that you'd even ask is alarming if the 2 cars are the same money.

15. greenfoam

greenfoam New Member

Members Ride:
    VP Executive R-spec
    I'm pretty sure the super 6 is actually better on fuel while cruising. If it's not then there is no noticable difference. You wont lose near as much on the resale with the super 6 plus it's one of the premium engines where the NA 6 is just the budget base model, anytime you can afford it the high end engines are allways the way to go when buying any commodore

16. executive_driven

executive_driven 5th gear pinned

Members Ride:
    1998 VT 5.0 5speed
    i find it a little wierd that youd need to ask? buy the super six mate you wont look back...

17. Keeffe

Keeffe New Member

Members Ride:
    None ATM
    One of you find it weird, and the other finds it alarming that I ask how fuel efficient a supercharged commodore is? lol...................

18. Hot-Rod

Hot-Rod SuPaFlY -LiV3 Surviv3 Di3

Members Ride:
    VX Commodore Series 2
    keeffe, if u don't buy the super 6 charger you'll regret it. How old are u? if you don't have any dependants, why not??

19. chargedvx6

chargedvx6 Active Member

Members Ride:
    VY SII HBD Calais L67
    I think you mistook my angle mate........same cars for the same money but one with the charger and one without?

The charger bypasses boost predominantly until you tap the accelerator with attitude. It basically uses the same petrol off boost.

The thing that will save you petrol with the charger is it will labour up hills better (less revs needed) and generally be abit more torque prone everywhere thus you will need less revs to get the same performance that the N/A car gives.

If you drive in a restrained manner petrol usage won't be an issue and you will have a better basis to do it with in the super 6 IMHO.

One day if you decide performance is what you want you will have a good base for some fun mods but the N/A car will not give much in that area without big money. That being said, an LS1 would be far better bang for your buck than either if you want to mod.

Sorry for the rant but alot of people underate the super6

20. redcv6

redcv6 supercharged intercooled

Members Ride:
    vy ss ute, diesel landcruiser 100s, hq panel van
    this is the second comment you have made that i would consider crap.

mate as for the choice. im not going to stand here and say that i wouldn't have preferred an ls1 over the super6 because that would be a lie, just the sound is what gets me, nothing like a v8. unless you are constantly on boost in the super6, i really don't think there is much of a difference in the fuel usage compared to a standard commodore, and i would know Ive owned both. just sold a vt for a cv6. on highway i would have to say it is just as good. however play with your throttle around town and get ready to see that fuel gauge move. power: v6, just nothing there man. super6, well i will be going for 220rwkw on a light tune (looking for 12's down the track), that is spending about 2.3gs on mods. ls1: my cuz has spent 1g on tune and catback, 600 on 3.45 centre and has run a 13.6 last friday. these are all real figures,not crap like "a friends friends car did this", and other **** people talk.

if i was in your situation, i would go the v8, just so much potential, but if it is out of the super6 and n/a 6, super6 all the way

don't listen to idiots that talk crap like "you have to use more expensive premium fuel" because it all turns out to be the same in the end. or idiots that say buy a v8 because of resale value :bang: go look at the difference in prices, and as fuel gets more expensive again, well, i don't think i have to explain what will happen to the price of a v8!

just my 2 cents, trying to help you out as much as possible. anyone is more than welcome to debate them.

kind regards johnny