Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Spark plugs smaller than origional ones

Discussion in 'VT - VX Holden Commodore (1997 - 2002)' started by Connor john, Sep 26, 2018.

1. Calaber

Calaber Nil Bastardo Carborundum

Members Ride:
    CG Captiva 5 Series 2
    Don't manufacturers play it safe when it comes to recommended replacement schedules though? It isn't just to make more money from selling the replacement parts - it's also to ensure the vehicle continues to operate at optimum efficiency. Most replacement schedules recommend renewal well before a part is completely worn out with the probable exception of fuel and oil filters. Is it really smart to just ignore those schedules and drive on parts until they are defective?

2. mechanic

mechanic Active Member

Members Ride:
    Commodore
    We do it with almost everything else in the car, don’t we?

Fuel pump
    Exhaust system
    Fuel injectors
    Gaskets
    Battery
    Radiator hoses
    Etc etc

All only get replaced when they fail. Why would spark plugs be any different?

3. delcowizzid

delcowizzid on holiday

Members Ride:
    в∞ѕтεכ √&
    The late model stuff vz upwards v6 they say 100000km people leave them in there so long they take out the coils and the driver's in the ecu same thing happens when people pull leads testing cylinders for operation they don't like not firing its a big nono with outboard motors as well never compression test them without the plugs in the leads and touching earth or ignition modules crap out and ****.i had a touring car lose 10hp on the dyno this week and then dropped a cylinder on track did 4 laps with with 1 cylinder coming and going fitted a plug then end of next practice that coil died

4. Sabbath'

Sabbath' Redblock Jesus

Members Ride:
    80 Series// MK5 GTi//
    you forgot brakes. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

5. immortality

immortality No more smoky bacon :( Staff Member

Members Ride:
    HSV VS Senator, VX s2 Calais S/C
    Yep, had the same thing on a V6 Mondeo, plugs were left in to long and ended up having to replace the coils as well. Was a right head **** as no one locally had em in stock, same with the bloody leads.

6. Calaber

Calaber Nil Bastardo Carborundum

Members Ride:
    CG Captiva 5 Series 2
    Sorry mate but you'd never pass muster with me as my mechanic. My whole point was SCHEDULED REPLACEMENTS, not parts which all eventually wear out. You can flog your plugs till they cark it. I'll replace them because it makes sense to do so and they're not that expensive.

7. mechanic

mechanic Active Member

Members Ride:
    Commodore
    People come to this forum to learn how to think and do things differently, so they don’t have to follow the rest of the sheep to the dealership or mechanic to have their wallet opened.

There are some people who learn everything they know from the back of product packaging or brochures at Repco stores - those very places that have an interest in selling you more stuff.

As a mechanic I do what the manufacturer recommends and what the sheep ask for.

But I’m also educated and equipped (tools and workshop equipment) to be able to run tests to make my own decisions about the limits of components.

So, if you want to follow the manufacturers recommendations, go for it. No harm done.

If you’ve come here to hear another point of view (which most people have) listen and assess it on its own merits.

Your choice, just don’t be a brochure-believing sheep.

8. immortality

immortality No more smoky bacon :( Staff Member

Members Ride:
    HSV VS Senator, VX s2 Calais S/C
    It's not about been a sheep but manufacturers recommendations shouldn't just be ignored however still to be viewed with a grain of salt (especially when it comes to transmission servicing).

Most people who come here have a problem. My first question is always the service history....

9. Sabbath'

Sabbath' Redblock Jesus

Members Ride:
    80 Series// MK5 GTi//
    What's the bet old mates a first year apprentice. :rolleyes:

10. the_boozer

the_boozer no more VK

Members Ride:
    Prado
    So lets save a little now and spend a lot later and stand next to a broken down vehicle waiting for a towie?
    How do you feel when telling poor people their unmaintained vehicle is going to cost $1500 to get to run properly again and its due for a timing belt next service.

11. EYY

EYY Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VS Statesman
    People don’t come here to hear an alternative point of view. They generally come here because they have a passion for cars or they want to learn how to work on their cars and are looking for solid information.

If somebody’s giving bad/incorrect advice they’re usually pulled up on it. There are plenty of qualified people on this forum. Healthy discussion is great, but making absolute statements disagreeing with long term and often trade qualified members isn’t seen as making a positive contribution to the forum.

People get away with blurting out uneducated garbage on Facebook groups - but forums tend to be a little more civil.

12. lout

lout Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VX Executive S2
    can you afford to have your car not start
    taking kids to doctors, job interview, saturday night at a party
    to me a car must be 100% reliable or it is not worth owning

the_boozer likes this.
  13. vc commodore

vc commodore Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    vc commodore
    And what happens internally with an engine, with constant misfiring....Hummmm....1 expensive repair bill.

Problem is, if the uneducated don't replace these type of electrical components are specified intervals, they tend to forget about it, which inturn leads to this lovely bill.

And no, I can't explain how the resistance of particular electrical components effect the efficiency of the engine running, but do know a misfiring engine due lack of maintence can lead to an expensive repair bill