Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

No More Harrier Service At Dealerships?

Discussion in 'VF Holden Commodore (2013 - 2017)' started by RoganJosh, Apr 10, 2018.

1. losh1971

losh1971 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    I have ext warranties before. One was useless, it was from a Toyota dealer in St Mary's Adelaide. The things that were covered was like pistons... and rods?? Yet when my head was completely stuffed they said $1500 bucks. Yet we had a warranty at CMI Toyota in South Adelaide and they replaced a whole steering rack at no charge, even though it was not really a major issue as a lot of this model Camry's make the same rubbing sound, when turning the wheel. In the OP's case I thought they would be obligated to meet their part of the contract??

2. RoganJosh

RoganJosh Active Member

Members Ride:
    Holden VF Calais V -V6
    Well outside warranty mate. They will only do log book services, this isn't one of those in the log book.

3. Forg

Forg Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
    Oh ... well that's a bit special.
    Back to finding another dealer or an independent you trust!

4. vc commodore

vc commodore Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    vc commodore
    K-mart tyre and auto charge about $170 for a similar service to what the Op received

5. lowandslow

lowandslow Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    V2 III Monaro
    Changed the oil, kicked the tyres and took it for a thrash all for $120. Bargain!

monstar likes this.
  6. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Lightening Lube Launceston do the above here for 79 bucks I'm pretty sure.

7. Holden17

Holden17 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    MY16 SV6 ute/MY17 LMF SS wagon
    Maybe they only kick 2 of ur tyres?:p

losh1971 and monstar like this.
  8. Anthony121

Anthony121 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
    :eek:

Noeleter likes this.
  9. vc commodore

vc commodore Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    vc commodore
    You missed the report on some items, which would account for the price....As they say, time is money

10. ellisjuan

ellisjuan New Member

Members Ride:
    VYII Calais 5.7
    "Minor engine tune"
    "Reset timing"
    "Adjust fuel/air settings"
    "Adjust idle speed"

Are we back in the 1970s? None of these tasks have been necessary for at least 30 years. The ECM is constantly making these adjustments while you drive.

I'm surprised they haven't "Greased ball joints, steering knuckles and wheel bearings"... If they did, they could easily add another 6 line items to your bill... :eek:

losh1971 likes this.
  11. figjam

figjam Donating Member

Members Ride:
    Monaro CV8, Cross 6 Crewman, Territory Ghia.
    As mentioned by others, ‘Harrier’ was an extended warranty/servicing agreement that was usually bought as a (useless) option from a dealer.
    The car had to be serviced by the dealer, and there were $$ limits to repairs, and what parts were covered.

When I bought a new Ford Territory, I was expected by the dealer to buy this warranty, but I refused. When the factory warranty ran out, I was informed that I had been ‘given’ a further 3 years extra Harrier-type warranty, if I continued with dealer scheduled servicing, which I did.

Happy ending, compliments of ACCC, ….. I got a refund of about $250 from Ford after they had been found out overcharging on their scheduled services.

losh1971 likes this.
  12. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Yeah but they black your tyres at the dealer now and that makes a harrier service worth it......:rolleyes:

13. revster

revster Active Member

Members Ride:
    30th Anniversary HSV Senator (Gone) MY19 Golf R
    I had an unusual set of circumstances that some may find interesting. I bought extra warranty in November for my HSV which required the car to be serviced by Metro Holden in Adelaide. I was happy with that as I had been very happy with my previous 2 cars serviced by them. GMH is their wisdom took there franchise away Dec 31. I phoned Holden care and said I want my car serviced by HSV approved centre. They said as a gesture of goodwill they would pay $700 toward an extended warranty with another Adelaide HSV dealer, City Holden.

City Holden said hang on both companies used the same underwriter for the extended warranty and it could be considered fraud to have the same VIN twice with the underwriter. So they said they would get the local underwriter rep to go have a chat with Metro holden. The up shot was Metro allowed the car to be serviced elsewhere and a flag was changed in the data base.

Both car dealers were great. Holden Care was great. And I am not out of pocket at all. I knows it is odd to have a happy camper.

14. VS 5.0

VS 5.0 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV Z Series M6
    My last dealer log book service resulted in no tyre black and their free car wash leaving the car covered from head to toe in crap.

Never again.

losh1971 likes this.
  15. revster

revster Active Member

Members Ride:
    30th Anniversary HSV Senator (Gone) MY19 Golf R
    I am not a tyre black fan and I aways make sure the dealer NEVER washes the car.

16. VS 5.0

VS 5.0 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV Z Series M6
    I hadn't had a dealer service in many, many years so wasn't aware that they even provided a complimentary dirty up your car experience.

losh1971 and revster like this.
  17. tml678

tml678 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    HSV30 Senator (w/end), '00 Magna, '17 Carnival
    Yep, the obligatory 'wash' with a bucket of wet sand is all part of the deal these days!

I make sure they write 'do not wash' in big bold letters on the work order before I sign it and hand the keys over.

Poor old Dad, VS 5.0 and revster like this.
  18. greenacc

greenacc Searching for the billion

Members Ride:
    VE Berlina
    Last time a took my car to a dealer for any type of work I had booked it in for a rear driver side wheel bearing.
    They then called me well after lunch to tell me I needed a new wheel bearing!! Ah well yes that would be why I booked it in for that job ey mate!?
    They then pulled it apart then realised they were missing parts and had to offer to drive me home in a courtesy car ;)
    So it was very little inconvenience to me, but if you guys are getting your work done plus a sandy scrub of the car well consider yourself lucky! :)
    Best thing about that place was a really good spare parts guy.

19. zoenryan

zoenryan Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV G8 , VZ Wagon V6, VE Saloon V6 LPG, VX V6
    Agree -Harrier extended warrenty was another way for the Holdem dealers to relieve you of some money for little or no benefit . Extended warrenty sold when you buy the car - the catch ?
    1. Doesn't cover a lot of items - extensive list of what is does cover
    2, Service interval 10,000 kms - not a bad thing in itself but a Harrier service is just an oil and filter change
    3. If you had a claim, They would use every trick in the book to reject - i.e missed oil change by 50 kms

Effectivly a scam - Dealer would get a big cut of the purchase price - plus car had to be returned to dealer to do Harrier service !!!!!

Just another way in which Holdem dealers "looked after" their customers . We will miss them !

20. timandhayley

timandhayley Active Member

Members Ride:
    Astra RS-V Hatch
    Harrier is not an actual warranty company, all the do is charge dealers a small amount in order to administer the dealer’s own mechanical protection plan(you can’t actually call it a warranty anymore due to ACL, only actual insurance companies can offer warranty products).

As a customer you think you’re dealing with Harrier, when really they’re just the intermediary between you and the dealership. There’s usually a basic plan for free with limited coverage and then up sells for further coverage. These plans begin after any warranty ends (new car warranty or dealer stat warranty on used). Usually you have to service at the selling dealer, but it’s up to the dealer (at the end of the day they’re the one who pays out on any claims).

They recently changed it so that you follow the logbook service schedule of the actual vehicle that you buy and most dealers now have some form of capped price servicing in place, whether it’s from a manufacturer level or internally set.