Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New exhaust.. O2 warnings.. TUNED.. still Check Engine warnings!?!!?

Discussion in 'VE Holden Commodore (2006 - 2013)' started by MACDOOGAL, Mar 22, 2011.

1. MACDOOGAL

MACDOOGAL New Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV
    Hey all,
    I got a feeling i'll get the 'use search button' posts by some people which is fair enough because i know there are alot of threads on this general subject.. ive read them. Problem is though I had my SSV fitted with a catback 3" system and the check engine lights come on, as they seem to for everybody.
    After reading a few of these threads i opted to get the car tuned, as the concensus seemed to be that tuning the car will fix the problem. So i dropped into KPM today and had one of there 'flash tunes' done for $490 where the guy garaunteed me that'd would fix the problem... Anyways picked it up, all good, drove bout 10 - 15ks then the 'check engine' light pops up again???
    Soo i took it back to em and now they seem to think that one of the sensors may have been damaged with the initial 'smoke' or something from the new exhaust!? So another $150 and there replacing that tomorrow....
    THE REASON im on here though is they dont seem too confident, and ive already sunk the $490 into it for nothing, so just wondering if anyone has any ideas or even better experienced and solved the same problem???
    Cheers!

2. RiCeY

RiCeY F O R U M W A R R I O R

Members Ride:
    VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 470rwhp
    lol @ smoke, take it to someone who knows what they are doing, they obviously dont.

3. MACDOOGAL

MACDOOGAL New Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV
    Yeah i figured as much.. Seems like every place i spoke to had no idea what they're doing.. One joker tried to tell me they'll just reset the system and the car will 'auto-tune' itself.. Another company said the sensors might be too far away from the cats...
    Does anyone know if just switching the post O2 sensors off will do any damage to the car??

4. RiCeY

RiCeY F O R U M W A R R I O R

Members Ride:
    VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 470rwhp
    The pre and post cat sensors work in unison so you cant turn either off or youll get constant error codes because the ECM cant compare each sensors values.

From memory the positioning/distance of the sensors is what throws the error codes.

5. bladerunner

bladerunner "needs a bit'a nitrous"

Members Ride:
    VE SS UTE & a 71' deltek rockhopper
    I'd get in contact with vcm suite in melb. they are one of the pioneers in LS series engine tuning and know their stuff.as for the sensors, what smoke?it's a bolt on system isn't it? therefore no welding,that's the time you'll see smoke when it's started for the first time and all the weld smoke gets blown out. your engine won't blow smoke because of an exhaust change. the post sensors should have been switched off with the tune, which sounds like they havent.they are only heat sensors anyway that's why your light came on a few k"s down the road I bet.

6. Lumps of cheese

Lumps of cheese welcome to the machine

Members Ride:
    83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
    That's it. Going from standard to 4 in 1's throw the code. Mine did this and after my tuner sent me my tune and i put it in all was fixed.

Learning daily likes this.
  7. MACDOOGAL

MACDOOGAL New Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV
    So they can be switched off or will that make things worse!? Have you had yours turned off bladerunner?
    I don't think the distance is the issue because it's only one sensor that's setting the alarm off...?

8. bladerunner

Members Ride:
    yes my rears are switched off. when a tune is done such as yours its standard procedure to switch the rear(post cat) sensors off. it doesnt matter if you have a full system or a catback they are turned off as like i said they are only heat sensors and wont do damage to your engine. but since you have just said only one is playing up-how do you know its only one, was a code check done?- then maybe its a front o2 sensor as the rears wont show anything obviously if they are switched off. dont despair mate i'm sure it will be sorted.

9. Sabbath'

Sabbath' Redblock Jesus

Members Ride:
    80 Series// MK5 GTi//
    :hmmm::hmmm:

10. MACDOOGAL

MACDOOGAL New Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV
    The rear sensors are definitely still on, the code that come up on there computer said it was the left rear sensor setting it off.. They said Not to just turn em off BUT if you've done it to yours and she's fine I mite just ask them to do that if the new sensor doesn't fix the problem

11. MACDOOGAL

MACDOOGAL New Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV
    Does anyone else here have there rear sensors turned off??

12. bladerunner

Members Ride:
    mate a good guess would be that a majority wouldnt know the difference if they are. i only know because i asked whats what when i had the work done. seems ive confused sabbathss as well?if kpm use vcm soft ware which i think they do seeing as they sell their otr's then they should know what to do?

13. heyitsEnricoPallazzo

heyitsEnricoPallazzo Big block Alloytec

Members Ride:
    VZ A4 Saloon
  14. MACDOOGAL

MACDOOGAL New Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV
    Nothing ever goes easy!
    Ok, so this is what's happening now...
    Spoke to kpm about turning the sensors off, like you said bladerunner, and they told me they'd switched off the part that reads the emissions, so that's fine. Problem is the error on the rear O2 is saying it's an electrical fault.. That's why they replaced the sensor, picked it up this morning and it was fine until I got to the exact same spot as last time I picked it up, which happens to be driving up a bridge and the check engine light comes on again!!
    So I took it back and they got no clue why it's happening when it's going up an incline without doing a full diagnosis.. So naturally I Negged out and had them just switch the sensor off completely and just ignore the problem cuz the way I figure it there must be a damaged wire that touch something when driving up a hill etc although they didn't see anything when they changed the sensor...
    Ever heard of this before??

15. SSVman

SSVman New Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV Sedan Redhot
    I had a similar problem. Exhaust & Tune. Passenger side pos-cat o2 kept tripping CEL. Took months to sort it out. In the end replaced ECU (under warranty) and all fixed. I have to reflash back to to stock tune to get this work under warranty and luckily my o2s were in the exact same position as stock exhaust.

16. MACDOOGAL

MACDOOGAL New Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV
    Really? So even with the exhaust done holden fixed it?? What if the O2 sensors were in a different spot, would it not work or something?? And probably most important, will anything BAD happen if i dont fix it???

17. AJS000

AJS000 Member

Members Ride:
    VE S1 SV6
    I've heard this happens Post tune on the VE SV6s too with full exhaust systems.

Also engine light due to their VVT Cams