Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Need a new shed

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
Hi all,

In very early stages of planning a shed. On the side of my house I have approx 300sqm to play with, 17 m from my house to the boundary. Neighbour has built to his boundary line. I haven't called shed builders yet, thought I'd check here first.

I'm thinking something like 7 x 10 m or similar, with the long side adjacent to house. Long enough to park two cars end to end, or a hoist with 2 cars (200 series LC and a VP) and a box trailer behind it. The second narrower bay can be storage, work area etc. Will probably need a retaining wall as the land drops off slightly at the back. Landscaping and fencing will come later.

I have nfi when it comes to council rules, covenants, building envelopes etc. Is this something a shed builder can sort out or do I need to go to council first before a shed builder can work up a design and quote?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Ute V6
Need to go through council but you will need engineering plans from shed manufacturer to submit with your building application. 7m shed won't be deep enough, I have 7.5m and I need more depth. I have a 10.5m wide x 9m deep going up later this year. I have 3.5m walls and 17deg pitch and will have enough clearance for a hoist for most cars, probably not vans though. Ideally wall height should be 3.9m and 17deg pitch roof. Trouble is council might knock it back unless you are on rural property.

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks I meant to write that the depth will be 10 m, enough to maybe get 2 cars end to end, or perhaps a hoist (will need around 4m wall height for LC and VP) and a enough room behind for my trailer. One thing I forgot to add which may kill the hoist idea is the roof will ideally be skillion to match the house. It will prob end up so high it will look ridiculous.

I don't want to go too wide as my neighbour built on his boundary.

I'm on residential rural in Brisbane City Council. Block size 4000sqm.

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
HQ VC VZ
Go as big as you can fit, can never have too much space. If you have the depth I'd go more like 12m deep to comfortably fit 2 cars in there tandem. By the time you get walls, doors and then allow room to move/walk around them, its just a bit nicer than to have the cars parked right up against each other the wall and door at each end.

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
I think 12 m may work, will need to bring the front of the shed forward towards the street slightly.

That will reduce the amount of concrete needed for the driveway expansion.

There is also a 20,000 litre water tank just behind where I want to put the shed, so hopefully that solves the plumbing. The power meter on on the same side, and we have 3 phase so will get that run to shed.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Ute V6
You will need more than 7m wide if you want a hoist, unless you have a single roller door, hoist requires roughly 4m of width.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Ute V6
Hoist also really requires a 150mm slab as a minimum. The bare minimum is a 100mm but I wouldn't risk that kind of pad under a two post. I am having x2, 1m wide strips to 200mm under the posts of the hoist which will be 6-9m long with reo bars as well as the mesh.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I have nfi when it comes to council rules, covenants, building envelopes etc. Is this something a shed builder can sort out or do I need to go to council first before a shed builder can work up a design and quote?
Not all, but plenty of shed builders will manage the council process for you.

If they do, they will know what will and won't get through and can design appropriately.

I'd be speaking to them first.