Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Names Compulsory on the 2016 Census

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Turd Ferguson, Jul 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bigfella237

Bigfella237 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    More cars than I've got space to park!
    So did Henry Ford, does that mean all ford drivers should be on some kind of watchlist?

2. thestig

thestig resident misanthrope

Members Ride:
    E34 535i M - E70 X5 M - E60 M5 - No Fear
    Only if they believe extraordinary and fantastical claims about the nature of the world in the face of absolutely zero evidence, and preach and/or enforce such beliefs onto those who do not.

It's not fair to single out only ford drivers, anyone with a history of acting out delusional fantasy in today's interdependent and technologically dangerous world should be subject to at least some form of scrutiny.

It's mandatory, if the human race is to survive. Whether we deserve to is still up for debate in my book.

P.S.

3. Skydrol

Skydrol Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Pontiac G8 GT
    Not only Henry Ford but also Harvey Firestone, John Burroughs and Thomas Edison. The group was called The Vagabonds back in the days; they shared the same ideologies.

Here is some interesting IBM Nazi Computers.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
  4. commodore665

commodore665 expat Saffa

Members Ride:
    2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
    Very true sadly , but it is a topic for another thread as you've pointed out .

5. Biznatch303

Biznatch303 Pew Pew Lasers

Members Ride:
    95 VR Ute/ 16 MQ Triton
    [​IMG]

6. Eevo

Eevo Member

Members Ride:
    VY SS Ute
    yes, but for different reasons

7. Troy711

Troy711 Retired Old Fart Staff Member

Members Ride:
    2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
    [​IMG]

8. thestig

thestig resident misanthrope

Members Ride:
    E34 535i M - E70 X5 M - E60 M5 - No Fear
    It's no conspiracy.. all I am saying is.... protecting privacy is the responsibility of the individual, removing it is the goal of the state...

[​IMG]

And yes, I think you are one of them.

9. Skydrol

Skydrol Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Pontiac G8 GT
    Information and knowledge is a powerful weapon. Can be used for good and/or bad. Most of the info gathering is sold anyway, for the sole purpuse "of serving you better". That is how you get bombarded with adevertisement everywhere you go. Trying to convince you to buy some that you do not want and/or need. I do not have F-Book or Twatter, those things are non value added crap on my life; full of gossips and ads. Look around you, how many people with their heads down, self-isolated from the rest ("connected" is the excuse); for example, disrupting the workforce. People are becoming nonproductive zombies. What I find interesting is, if you give a diary/journal to someone to keep and then publish it, that individual wil say that is private. If is on F-Book is all perfectly OK to tell the entire WWW all the inner secrets of their shitty lives.

How many of you find convinient to logon with F-Book? To me that is a single point of failure as far security. Someone can hack on your account and create all sorts of damages. In the USA the car insurance company Progressive gives a discount if you place a tracking device on the ODB2 port of your car. The point is to see your driving habits and tracks your commute, record your traveled distnace and speed; GM OnStar does the same thing, but, for a fee to share with you part of the info, for free without sharing. I see no fundamental differences between that device and an ankle bracelet used by people on house arrest. With all the electric throttle, electric steering, ABS, computer control breaking, etc... it is possible to "remote control" your car. So much for security, public safety, etc... that allows the manufacturer to "remote control" your car. All it takes is a good hacker break in to the OnStar system. Can you imagine someone sends a signal to apply the brakes of few cars on a busy hwy. Just enough to disrrupt the traffic flow; or as simple disable all GM OnStar equiped cars on a certain time of the day, let us say... for few hours.

I love technology, do not take me wrong. Technology is a tool, the right tool shall be use to solve the problem. Tech is not the answer to every problem (the meme of "there is an app for that"), if there is no problem, the tech community creates a problem (called "finding a product demand/need").

10. Rajesh Koothrappali

Rajesh Koothrappali Banned

Members Ride:
    ya mum!
    The coverage has now shifted to "if you don't complete the census you could be fined $180 a day after September" and "if you provide misleading information you could be fined $1800".

Why don't they switch to the more accurate census model of sampling data? Get people to volunteer to be part of the sampling, and complete it quicker and far more efficiently.

11. NeddyBear

NeddyBear Veteran Mountain Biker

Members Ride:
    2004 Ford Falcon RTV Ute & 2004 Subaru Outback 2.5
    Well then if they know that some are giving false information then why do they need to know what's what.
    Sounds like they already know too much.

12. mpower

mpower Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
    Big Brother, all up in our business.

Why collect names other than to cross reference with other departments?

I have nothing to hide, but I do like privacy to a degree.

13. Calaber

Calaber Nil Bastardo Carborundum

Members Ride:
    CG Captiva 5 Series 2
    Without having even looked at the on-line census forms, I can imagine that omitting an answer won't work because the program won't advance to the next question/page if a question remains unanswered. Which makes it very difficult to opt out of questions you deem sensitive or invasive. At least with a manual form, you can debate the matter with the census collector and state that you refuse to answer certain questions because you have issues with them.

While some here have stated they don't have issues with the census being invasive, I have to wonder just why they need to have names. They haven't needed them for previous census' and the information they required was provided to their satisfaction at the time. So why the change now? I am suspicious about that aspect.

Where's my tin foil hat?

Skydrol - got a spare you can lend me?

14. ephect

ephect Donating Member

Members Ride:
    VS Acclaim V6
    There may be a way around text box answers but we'll see next week

15. immortality

immortality Home of the smoky breakfast Bacon! Staff Member

Members Ride:
    HSV VS Senator, VX s2 Calais S/C
    For the census here in NZ we have always had to supply our names. They tell us that the info isn't shared and only used for statistical purposes but hey, do you trust the government?

At the end of the day they will already have all the data that you supply on the census form however it will be held by various institutions and not all in one location. The idea of the census (so they tell us) is to get a snap shot of the entire population at a particular given time which would provide most accurate picture for planning purposes etc Up to you whether or not you believe that.

16. Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson Donating Member

Members Ride:
    Disco
    At this point I don't even think their system will cope.

People have been calling for days now and been getting an automated "our system is busy please try later" when trying to order a paper form so I cant image millions of people attempting to use their website at once is going to end well.....

17. VS 5.0

VS 5.0 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV Z Series M6
    I agree that the online process will likely cack itself despite their claims that it can handle X hundred responses per second.

However, placing my tin foil hat on, I also expect that the automated response on the phone system is designed to make it all too hard to request a paper form so people will be channeled to the online form. Much like when trying to deal with Centrelink on the phone as opposed to via MyGov.

18. Rajesh Koothrappali

Rajesh Koothrappali Banned

Members Ride:
    ya mum!
    A Census official knocked on our door and left the paper form on the front porch when she asked my wife not to open the door as she didn't want our dog to get her. (LOL!!!) So we have a paper form with our unique number on it.

But I fully agree... The website isn't going to cope.

19. Towcar

Towcar Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VX Berlina Wagon
    Don't complain when schools, hospitals and public works miss you area, after all there is no one living in that area so why bother.

20. Gaiter

Gaiter Active Member

Members Ride:
    VZ SS Thunder
    Website will break for sure. It will be down for hours. However it doesn't have to completed until some time in September. And apparently if you have your code already, you can just login and do it now? I plan on doing it this weekend before the rush.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.