Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Losh's VR Ute build thread

Discussion in 'VR - VS Holden Commodore (1993 - 1997)' started by losh1971, Nov 11, 2017.

1. VS 5.0

VS 5.0 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV Z Series M6
    Unfortunately, Mr Murphy thinks otherwise.

losh1971 likes this.
  2. vc commodore

vc commodore Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    vc commodore

All this time I thought he retired....Obviously not....:D:p....

Sorry sick joke that I couldn't help post up

3. UTE042_NZ

UTE042_NZ Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    MY17 Magnum Ute
    Murphy died in a terrible accident involving a plane taking off while carrying a Jamaican wedding party who were toasting their bride and groom when it crashed upside down onto a truck delivering carpet. His replacement, Sod, is a lazy bastard and only has one law - "Murphy was an optimist".

losh1971, vc commodore and Lex like this.
  4. losh1971

losh1971 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Got home about 2hrs ago and went straight to work. Removed the tank cover and cleaned the edge up and primed it. I also cleaned out the lip where it drops into and primed that. I have the tailgate off as that needs sandblasting around the lower seam. Found out local tool place sells garnet, which is great as it beats sand in the blaster anyday. I can even collect it and reuse the garnet if i get sneaky and use a tarp to catch it. I have always used sand but getting sand that is sharp enough and kiln dried is really hard in north Tas.
    I am looking at a lot of work tomorrow and i am thinking i may not get the tailgate back on this weekend as i have a boys night out tomorrow eve and that's back in Town. I reckon by the time i apply the Raptor and paint the tailgate and the gutter I will be struggling to get it all back together. May be that i drive without a tailgate for two weeks until I can get back here.

5. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Working on the Raptor liner right now. Turns out its a bit of a learning curve using a spatter gun. I thought the gear would not need thinning but I was very wrong, plus i am putting it on at over 100psi. It requires thinning to almost the top of the bottle once activator is added. The other thing is 2L may not be enough for a VR tub but we will see.
    20200118_115910.jpg

6. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Got the liner in. I think that if doing a full size tub with two litres you cut it fine. I run out but had just enough. I reckon if i was to do it again i would add up to 50% thinners to each bottle. This gear really is thick, which would help stretch it out to do the full tub no worries. I assumed because the bottles have only enough room for 100mls of thinner at the most that, that would be enough. With the second bottle i poured some out and added a fair amount of thinners, shook it up and did the same with the remainder. Then I poured it back and forth to ensure both batches had been blended together nicely. One thing i found was it went on better with more air. To achieve this i had to only just pull on the trigger. Certainly a learning curve. Couple of pics of the finished job. Something i might add the spatter gun doesn't drift like a normal gun does. I think as far as masking up goes as long as you mask up about 600mm past the spray area you are pretty right but good to throw a couple of blankets over near by panels.
    20200118_122554.jpg 20200118_122600.jpg

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
  7. Skylarking

Skylarking Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Commodore Motorsport
    It's looking good. What was the final cost in using Raptor and how did it comparison to Line-X and Rhino?

8. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    I managed to get a few bucks off and paid $175 for the Raptor in tintable, coloured to Alaskan. Not sure how it compares with other brands but online reviews were almost 100% positive.
    I definitely think 10% thinners is not enough or it goes on globby. I just noticed a couple of thinner spots but I have some automotive enamel i can touch up the three tiny thin spots. Issue was that towards the end i was having to be careful i didn't run out. 20200118_150400.jpg 20200118_150129.jpg

Skylarking likes this.
  9. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    The only downside to this gear and i don't know if all liners are the same but it takes 7 days to fully cure. This means putting things back together is not going to happen today like i hoped.

10. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    From this..... 20200114_185658.jpg

To this.... 20200118_173930.jpg

11. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Found out the boys night has been cancelled. Works out well for me as it means i can get all the painting done bar the couple of touch ups in the tub. It also means i can throw the best mate in the back and not worry about him scratching it.
    Also means I can do the sandblasting on the tailgate and get it too painted. I still have to think about the best way to pack the right side TG hinge. I was thinking thick washers or make an aluminum plate and space it with that. Only thing that concerns me with the alloy is if it cracks from vibrations and tears away.

12. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Fitted the carpet today. I need more velcro because spotlight didn't have anywhere near enough. Hopefully get enough to tension the sides next week.
    20200127_112016.jpg

13. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Spent a few hours stripping the bumperettes. Father in law who used to panel beat said it would melt the plastic. Panel beater up the road reckoned I would have to sand them carefully with palm sander, as they would melt. Couple of blokes on JC who do panel work reckon I'd melt the plastic. Even the can said so not use on plastic. But it doesn't melt ice cream containers nor does it melt plastic panels on a VR ute, lol.
    I went through almost a litre to strip both but Kwik Strip and a pressure washer and all the paint is gone. I have a fair bit of sanding though because someone has attacked them with course sandpaper and removing the paint has shown up a lot of scratches. Pic below is probably strip job 4. I needed have about 7 goes to get all the paint off. 20200201_182456_resized.jpg

Fu Manchu likes this.
  14. vs-lover

vs-lover Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
    No one ever said stripping paint is easy, unless you've got a dedicated paint stripping plant. It's all elbow grease.

losh1971 likes this.
  15. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Currently in SA, caught up with an old diff tech and bought these for $200, 3.45s he, he, he. Still have a few things on the cards while i am here. As mentioned already booked in for dyno run and print out next Wed. Hoping to see my cousin and have her partner tint the windows, providing he is not away in Coober Pedy working. 20200221_142830.jpg

afstruct and VS_Pete like this.
  16. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Windows tinted with 20 all round. Was told i could get away with 5 on the rear window but I didn't want to risk it. 20200224_112145.jpg

Skylarking likes this.
  17. vs-lover

Members Ride:
    Here in SA they'll nearly let you get away with black plastic on your window, especially if you're in a Black SUV with shiny wheels oddly.

losh1971 and Skylarking like this.
  18. Skylarking

Skylarking Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Commodore Motorsport
    They police would leave it alone thinking it was the feds.... because they’re probably watching too much streaming US crap on their phones while munching on donuts o_O

losh1971 likes this.
  19. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Just been to UPI at Lonsdale. Picked up pair of gen Calais mud flaps, two striker plates off a XF ute, funnily enough they are identical to VR. Also grabbed a bolt cover reflector for the bumperette. I wanted another steering wheel but no VPs with SW still there. I might have to try and mend mine. I only need to repair a horn pad clip, so nothing major. What was interesting is one the lack of VR and VS, especially VR. Also supposed to be Commodore ute in VR or VP but only one ute and it wasn't either.

20. vs-lover

Members Ride:
    We must've just missed each other down there" by that much".

I took my son-in-law down there this morning as he's flying back to Perth right this minute and we found a few bits and pieces but you are spot on with your point on VR~VS. There's basically nothing apart from a few flogged out circle work cars and its now all VT~VX. It's amazing how it's just changed overnight and not gradually. But then I recall how it was all VK~VL and then suddenly all VN.

PS. Elizabeth seems to still have the largest amount of bethian VR~VS's on hand. Lonsdale the least.

losh1971 likes this.