Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ln3 into a vp executive?

Discussion in 'VN - VP Holden Commodore (1988 - 1993)' started by darrenvp23, Jan 10, 2017.

Tags:
  1. darrenvp23

darrenvp23 New Member

Members Ride:
    VP Executive
    hi I recently bought an second motor for my vp, after paying $50 I realized its an ln3 not an l27 I know they are different and I know the l27 is supposed to be better but is it possible to just "throw" the ln3 in or will I need to change ecu's wiring ect.?

2. immortality

immortality No more smoky bacon :( Staff Member

Members Ride:
    HSV VS Senator, VX s2 Calais S/C
    They are basically the same. I'd change the tune to suit the earlier motor as they had a better tuneup anyway, especially the HSV tune.

3. Jxfwsf

Jxfwsf Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    commodore
    Did the engine come with the suitable flex plate/flywheel? Because they were different, 6 bolt vs the newer 8 bolt.

You could put the later heads and manifold on..... but that's a fair bit of work.
    You could drill holes in each the head for the PCV system and use the later intake manifold.

Or you'll have to redo the entire cooling system to suit.... new radiator without cap, replace surge tank and remove overflow bottle.
    And then modify the old engine loom to suit the engine (the older engines have different plugs and won't connect to the body loom)

4. darrenvp23

darrenvp23 New Member

Members Ride:
    VP Executive
    I bought the motor complete with auto box, ive pulled it apart because I also got new bottom end bearings and piston rings from another guy for free, ive ordered a gasket/seal set and plan on cleaning and rebuilding it, the main reason Is when my girlfriends man had the car she was told the gearbox was on its way out so I was given the car for free and in searching for a replacement gearbox I managed to buy this motor, I was concidering changing the heads and intake from the motor in the car but I wasnt sure how compatable they are with the older block? I'll admit im new to the commodore thing and have a lot tp learn

5. Jxfwsf

Jxfwsf Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    commodore
    Well seeing you're already pulling it apart.
    Use the rocker covers, heads and intake manifold (injectors & rail) from the later engine, they bolt straight on.
    Also install a newer style timing chain tensioner (the earlier ones were shite and if it's not where it's meant to be it'll be in the sump)

There isn't much else that is compatible between the 2 engines, don't mix up the rocker gear and it's components keep the later stuff on the heads.
    Earlier gear is different, retainer plate, pivots and rocker arms are a set.
    Maybe the the sump if dipstick is in on the front of the engine and you want to have it on the side instead, you can swap that.

You can't use the newer timing cover, cam, timing chain.

darrenvp23 likes this.
  6. darrenvp23

darrenvp23 New Member

Members Ride:
    VP Executive
    thanks for the help everyone cant beleve the response :)