Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

James' VS SS

Discussion in 'VR - VS' started by Jaymz, Aug 21, 2017.

1. Jaymz

Jaymz Donating Member

Members Ride:
    VS Exec 1996, VS SS 1996
    Thought i would start a thread showcasing my latest purchase.

Saw this car on Trademe here in NZ and went and had a look at it after the auction finished (with no bids).

Super surprised at the condition it was in, and even more surprised at the documentation that also came with it. The first owner (who purchased it new in NZ) kept nearly everything that was done on the car. This included the original newspaper clipping of the car advertised at the dealer! It also came with a rattle can of colour matched paint, a replacement Commodore badge for the front guard and a monsoon for the drivers door.

As far as i can see, the only mods done to the car is a new stereo (although the owner kept the factory head unit which i also have now) and a different muffler (Flowmaster Super 44). Other than that she is completely "grandpa spec"

It has a few issues that i have sorted for the warrant of fitness:
    Odometer not counting KM's - Replaced cog and all working fine
    Headlights not working on lowbeam - replaced headlight switch
    Small rust hole in spare wheel well - cut out the cancer and welded in new patch
    Drivers door window needed help winding up - door was missing one felt track, replaced from donor door

There are a few other things i want to sort out as funds become available.
    Things like the clear coat is pealed in a couple of small patches, and the body kit to be re-attached in a couple of places where the screws have come out.

It also came with another set of 18" tyres and 8 factory VS SS mag wheels that the previous owner had been collecting (buying them off trademe as they came up) so pretty stoked about that.

When I got it home, i pulled all the seats and shampoo'd the carpets and seats, changed engine oil and filter, flushed coolant and replaced.

Just need to change transmission oil and filter, change the diff oil and look at changing the power steering oil.

Photos from the ad: (I will add more once i get some better pics)

620430120.jpg 620430138.jpg 620430311.jpg 620430436.jpg 620430563.jpg 621575877.jpg 621576795.jpg 621577038.jpg 621577049.jpg 621708176.jpg

JORDACK, nikitaxx, afstruct and 3 others like this.
  2. immortality

immortality Can't live without smoky bacon! Staff Member

Members Ride:
    HSV VS Senator, VX s2 Calais S/C
    Very tidy :)

3. BLACK-VE

BLACK-VE Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF2 SS, VE SS ute 360rwkws daily VE LPG
    love that colour, nice pick up

4. VS 5.0

VS 5.0 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV Z Series M6
    Nice pickup there.

5. VS_Pete

VS_Pete Donating Member

Members Ride:
    VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
    U did well nice

6. Jaymz

Jaymz Donating Member

Members Ride:
    VS Exec 1996, VS SS 1996
    Thanks guys, I'm pretty happy with it. Didn't cost the earth either, $5k sealed the deal.

It is crazy the amount of info that came with it. Got the original sale agreement that the guy who brought the car signed. He traded in his 89 Calais for it!

I will try get some better photos on the weekend, but in the meantime i am using every excuse to rip around in it!

7. Jarrid

Jarrid Member

Members Ride:
    Vs SS Commodore 95
    I actually really love the matte black engine covers and nice to see them on the right way.

8. Jaymz

Jaymz Donating Member

Members Ride:
    VS Exec 1996, VS SS 1996
    The covers were painted by the last guy, Unfortunately he chose white for the "bananas" which has gotten a bit dirty.

Might look at re-painting it or polishing it back to a nicer colour. I am also going to look at paining the Holden logo red, along with the words on the side covers.

9. Jarrid

Jarrid Member

Members Ride:
    Vs SS Commodore 95
    Nice didn't notice the white hahah, I'm in the same boat with the lettering on the covers its a pain in the ass, I brushed the logo but its not as nice as I had hoped for.

10. Jaymz

Jaymz Donating Member

Members Ride:
    VS Exec 1996, VS SS 1996
    I was talking to a mate who works for a graphics design place who suggested using a good quality fine tipped brush and a paint that will dry slowly and "settle" out any brush marks. And also to use a bit of thinners/water (depending on the paint) to wipe up any paint that gets where it shouldn't.

Going to give it a go and see how it works out.

11. Wozza

Wozza Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VR_GS commodore
    re valve cover letter painting.....crappy youtube video but jump to the 3min point..this method works really well and is easy as

afstruct, immortality and VS 5.0 like this.
  12. Jarrid

Jarrid Member

Members Ride:
    Vs SS Commodore 95
    That was awesome

13. afstruct

afstruct Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
    About to do my engine covers, so looks like I need a syringe. That makes it look so easy

14. Jaymz

Jaymz Donating Member

Members Ride:
    VS Exec 1996, VS SS 1996
    Ah wicked, never thought about that way of doing it. Will be perfect for the tight spaces in the lettering.

The other idea i was toying with was to use a high heat grade vinyl for the stripes. That way you would get a clean straight line. Just have to colour match it to the paint.

Also, plans for this weekend:
    Change diff oil, got some nice new penrite oil last week 80W140 i think which will be nice for the old girl
    Change transmission filter and oil. It has an extra trans cooler fitted by Holden which is great since it has a towbar - I can be confident that the trans hasnt been overheated. The oil still has a bit of a red colour, but is dirty still. Here's hoping there are no nasty surprises in the pan!

I am also going to look at the body kit that is on this car. There are a few points where it has come loose so i should be able to re-screw it back on. Does anyone know if the clips for the side skirts are some special type of clip or pretty generic?

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
  15. Jarrid

Jarrid Member

Members Ride:
    Vs SS Commodore 95
    The side skirts I've removed from these models have all been Sika flexed on with only the front and rear screws you see near the tyre's they're a pain in the ass.

16. Jaymz

Jaymz Donating Member

Members Ride:
    VS Exec 1996, VS SS 1996
    Productive weekend. Managed to get a few things sorted on the beast which was nice.

Changed the transmission oil and filter - unfortunately it looked like the previous owner wasn't so good at keeping it serviced. The oil was still red (so not burnt thankfully) but it was very dark. The little magnet in the pan was covered in a sludge from the particles it pulled from the oil. Safe to say the oil hadn't been changed for a number of years. Thankfully there was no larger bits of metal or anything nasty in there.

Changed the diff oil - Looks like much the same as above. Hadn't been changed in a long time either, it was quite dark (almost green?) when it drained out. Not sure of the colour of what was put in originally, but i filled it up with a nice golden colour Penrite 80w140 oil. No bits in the oil either which was nice to see.

The drivers door was a bit funny, sometimes opening with the outside handle, other times it wouldnt work at all. I pulled the door card off and found the steel rod that pushes down on the door mechanism wasn't seated right (it was outside the metal loop on the mechanism) - My bad on that one, must have not looked carefully enough when i changed the central locking motor out. Popped it back in and it now works properly!

Cleaned and adjusted the Auto Selector - The white dot was not lined up properly in the shifter, looks like whoever installed the radio did a bum job of putting it all back together.

Fitted front, drivers side and rear body kit skirts back on - they had come loose so just re-adjusted the screws and glued the side skirt back on.

I took some pics of the oil to show everyone: (Trans oil on the left, diff on the right)
    [​IMG]

17. Deuce

Deuce Super Stock

Members Ride:
    '94 VR SS V8
    Did you use the synthetic diff oil?
    I rung penrite some years back and they advised to return the mineral and get the syn diff oil for lsd models. $90 for 2.5ltr, but better than a ducked diff.

18. Jaymz

Jaymz Donating Member

Members Ride:
    VS Exec 1996, VS SS 1996
  19. Jaymz

Jaymz Donating Member

Members Ride:
    VS Exec 1996, VS SS 1996
    Been awhile since i have done too much to the old girl, apart from washing and polishing the beast. I have done a bit with some of the clearcoat patches that were peeling, so will put an update up about that soon. But in the meantime i tidied up the engine covers a bit. The red on black looks pretty nice. Used a syringe with a needle to get the paint to flow nicely into the lettering and logo, still made a few mistakes, but a lot less than with a brush!

[​IMG]

20. Deuce

Deuce Super Stock

Members Ride:
    '94 VR SS V8
    Engine bay is looking good.
    P.s should meet up for a cruise some time. Or hit the track together.