Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is it worth upgrading from an SV6 to a SS?

Discussion in 'VF Holden Commodore (2013 - 2017)' started by Bazza0123, Dec 27, 2019.

1. 07GTS

07GTS Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VEGTS BLOWN E85
    yep trans tunes have pattern A, B & TUTD so the A is normal D for driving, B is for power mode stick to the left (but not moved to + -), and once u use TUTD its in that mode until back in D, u can then adjust all the different pressures, shift speeds/rpm, shift timing ect for each mode individually

panhead and 426Cuda like this.
  2. Anthony121

Anthony121 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
    Yes you are correct with the MY17 year. I have MY17 Redline and was produced on January 10th with sequence 28XX within the 3XXXXX VF series 2 vin range. The first 2500 cars were US SS vehicles which did satrt manufacturing around November 2016 and were nearly the only vehicle produced from Holden in the December 2016 manufacturing month.

3. Derekthetree

Derekthetree Member

Members Ride:
    Gen-F R8 SV Manual
    Having gone the other way for 24 hrs for my power steering recall, I can whole heartily say yes, it is worth it.
    The tractability, power and most of all noise more than make up for the offset in fuel costs.

But it's horses for courses, choose where you want the balance of power/economy/noise and make your choice!
    The grin on my face after trying "the one" told me all I needed to know :D

4. abuch47

abuch47 Active Member

Members Ride:
    LSS3 YOOTE
    Not enough powah for me, yet plenty enough fuel costs and function and comfort.

5. Derekthetree

Derekthetree Member

Members Ride:
    Gen-F R8 SV Manual
    There is never enough power! I had found that I'd gotten used to mine after a little while, not feeling that same rush. Having been driving my new daily car (2.5D 4x4) over the past two weeks, I'm relishing jumping in the (now) garage queen to get reacquainted

Bazza0123 likes this.
  6. Mayuri Krab

Mayuri Krab Member

Members Ride:
    VF series 2 SSV Redline, R33 Skyline GTS-T
    Interesting discussion regarding the gear box, but I can say for me that was the biggest let down for the car.

Maybe I got a dodgy/worn box but the GM 6 speed was noticable slower at reacting and changing compared to the ZF 8 speeds I was driving in my parents car.

But the biggest issue I have with my auto box feels very "cluncky" and not smooth at gear changes at normal speeds, kinda like the old 4 speed autos in old 90s JDM turbo cars. But funny enough flooring it or driving it hard seem to make the shifts less clunky...

This was made more noticable when I recently bought a Mitsubishi 380 as a cheap daily and the 5 speed auto in that was more smoother at slow/normal speeds despite thr car been 14 years old with 176k kms.

Got the car booked in at a transmission shop for a gearbox service next week, hopefully that will fix/reduce the clunkyness.

7. Langella

Langella New Member

Members Ride:
    VF 6.0 SS-V
    Came from a EVOKE 3.0 to a 6.0 SS - BIG YES for me.