Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

having probs with my 97 VT Executive commo.

JoeFish

Reaction score
Website
www.nuciforacarcare.com
Members Ride
98 VT Executive
G'day guys and gals.

i got a 97 VT v6 executive commodore. And it has been great so far for me but i have just came across a few small issues, as listed below.

1: Shaking alot
When im idling the car, as if im waiting at the lights etc, it shakes a lot, always the front passenger will ask me why is it happening, because i think they can feel it the most. It really doesn't bother me, but i know that it mechanically shouldn't be happening. I did get a straight through exhaust pipe installed which may cause it, but please explain if not.

2: brake shuddering
When i am driving about 100km/h and i slowly put the brakes on, my car shudders, as if maybe a brake is buckled or something and even when i go over 120km/h to overtake, my car will shake. It's a bit scarey for my friends hahaha.
My brakes squeel too, like that usual high pitch noise when braking..and when i am braking at a very slow speed, u can feel and hear that it's not a smooth brake, it's rather jumpy (coz the squeeling noises stops and starts etc).

3: sticky clutch or accelerator:
when i change gears, (yes it is a manual :D) my revs will actually go UP when im in the process of changing gears. and if i slow down and hold the clutch in, my revs will stay high and not go down. ALSO, when i start the car up to reservse or go forward, when releasing the clutch and putting down the accelerator, it's as if it doesn't register the accelerator properly and it almost stalls, sometimes i even have the accelerator very far down. Then after time it will finally pick it up and rev high, but as i keep reversing, it'll do the same thing over and over.

That's about it. Sorry if it's hard to understand what im trying to say, im not a mechanic or anything obviously, just a P plater in QLD lol.

cheers anyway, any help will be much appreciated =D

ACEMonkey

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 VT Acclaim S1
1. Check or change your leads, spark plugs, coil packs. Also see if your car needs a carbon clean. Otherwise you can disconnect the battery to reset the computer, and see if that helps with the rough idling.

2. Sounds like a combination of many things...what tyres are you running on and when have they been balanced and rotated? You could try machining your rotors and see if that helps with the shaking on braking. Standard commodore brake pads are generally noisy. I've changed mine to Bendix CT pads and they are a bit more quieter on braking.

3. You could try tightening your clutch and accelerator cables a bit to get a more positive response. If its sticking, it could be just dirt and grit getting caught on the cable and joints. Try cleaning and oiling.

fitz_vt

Pass Me A Wrench.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore SII Olympic Edition
G'day guys and gals.

i got a 97 VT v6 executive commodore. And it has been great so far for me but i have just came across a few small issues, as listed below.

1: Shaking alot
When im idling the car, as if im waiting at the lights etc, it shakes a lot, always the front passenger will ask me why is it happening, because i think they can feel it the most. It really doesn't bother me, but i know that it mechanically shouldn't be happening. I did get a straight through exhaust pipe installed which may cause it, but please explain if not.

2: brake shuddering
When i am driving about 100km/h and i slowly put the brakes on, my car shudders, as if maybe a brake is buckled or something and even when i go over 120km/h to overtake, my car will shake. It's a bit scarey for my friends hahaha.
My brakes squeel too, like that usual high pitch noise when braking..and when i am braking at a very slow speed, u can feel and hear that it's not a smooth brake, it's rather jumpy (coz the squeeling noises stops and starts etc).

3: sticky clutch or accelerator:
when i change gears, (yes it is a manual :D) my revs will actually go UP when im in the process of changing gears. and if i slow down and hold the clutch in, my revs will stay high and not go down. ALSO, when i start the car up to reservse or go forward, when releasing the clutch and putting down the accelerator, it's as if it doesn't register the accelerator properly and it almost stalls, sometimes i even have the accelerator very far down. Then after time it will finally pick it up and rev high, but as i keep reversing, it'll do the same thing over and over.

That's about it. Sorry if it's hard to understand what im trying to say, im not a mechanic or anything obviously, just a P plater in QLD lol.

cheers anyway, any help will be much appreciated =D

1. your vehicle is shaking alot due to wear on your engine mounts... the vehicles engine mounts will make the vehicles engine move and touch the frame causing vibration.

2. your brakes sqeal and shudder because you need to have your discs machined and pads replaced. a mechanic would be able to tell you this.

3. your clutch plates are probably worn, and your cables probably need replacing shouldnt be too expensive but certainly take it to a mechanic to have it done as it is hard to do unless you have tools to do it and you probably dont.

JoeFish

Reaction score
Website
www.nuciforacarcare.com
Members Ride
98 VT Executive
Thanks for all the help, it has really helped!!

I will be taking my car into the mechanic soon, so i will tell him what's going on and what you have suggested, thanks heaps!!