Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Green VS Maloo

Discussion in 'VR - VS' started by afstruct, Jul 19, 2016.

1. afstruct

afstruct Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
    So after joining JC in december 2015 and owning commodores since 2002 I'm finally posting in here.
    I've owned 3 VR /VS's in that time all utes
    The current one is a VS series I auto Maloo which I've owned since august 2012. I bought it with 85,000 klms on the clock and was stock standard except for after market electric windows and pioneer 6 stack CD player.It is and continues to be a daily driver so the klms are rapidly climbing which is a shame but they meant to be used and if you don't they just become expensive and heavy paper weights.
    Anyway late last year after again looking at upgrading and not being able to bring myself to sell it I decided modify it.
    So then dreams of different gearboxes, over/under drive units , diffs , 355/383's etc commenced. This lead to a bit of research and looking at costing and with the idea that if I kept it long enough a repaint would also happen.
    Reality set in where I easily spend enough to buy a really good , not very old VE Maloo, plans were rained in bit.
    So things have happened since then and it's not quite as convenient a it was eg speed humps are not my friend and crappy australian back roads and secondary roads are not as pleasant as they once were.
    So having said that the list of whats been done so far is -pioneer head unit, splits, amp and sub. I can now easily listen to my ipod !!!!
    King springs all round , super lows on front and lows on the back with poll airbags to help when carrying a heavy load and bilstin shocks all round. They are sports firm (hence crappy roads).
    Pacemaker extractors , (hence speed humps) into twin 2.5 inch and twin cats then into a single 3.0 inch, (nice note, not too loud but does get a bit droney), stage 2 crow cam , lifters valve springs etc, larger throttle body and a live tune. It fought me all the way so it now also has new dissy, coil, starter motor, heater tap and radiator has been repaired again. Still an issue there and while I'll perceive I won't take much convincing to go alloy and thermo fans.
    With all that it handles, goes and sounds a bit better so I'm happy where its gone so far.
    Here are a couple not very good photos 20160718_165153.jpg 20160718_165241.jpg 20160718_165119.jpg

Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
  2. VS_Pete

VS_Pete Donating Member

Members Ride:
    VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
    Looks good mate

3. afstruct

Members Ride:
    Thanks, paints not perfect but it is 20 yrs old and it gets used.
    They're a couple really nice wagon you have there.
    Here's 3 photos I took when I bought it 4 yrs ago
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    The front bar is no where near that good now it's taken a hammering from stone chips and a bit of damage on the lower edge in the middle below the main intake. The grill is also of at this time as the 4 pins that locate it to the bar have broken and it was vibrating like mad. ( took me a while to work out it was that making the noise). So they're a couple of jobs I have to get to sometime.
    Here's a couple of photos of inside and engine bay I took today after washing it
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    One thing I'm thinking of doing is maybe changing the wheels , thoughts are possibly either the vt clubsport/ / seires 3 maloo 17" ones or my monaro rims when I eventually get some others for it.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2016
  4. dgp

dgp Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VF II SSV Redline
    Looks good mate, I think your doing the right thing by enjoying it.

5. afstruct

Members Ride:
    Thanks, yeah I am enjoying it. I did with it as standard but in deciding to keep it ( and the thoughts are hopefully to keep it long enough to put it on club rego) I wanted to mod it some ( but with the intention that it can be reverted to standard if so desired ). So that journey has begun although I have to not get to carried away. Giving it a bit more attitude was a must and that exhaust sound is just so intoxicating now and this one was probably never going to be one for the purist collector because the front has been repainted and you can't get the silver series I maloo badges anymore, hence the series III ones.
    And they are ment to be used

Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
  6. afstruct

Members Ride:
    So I didn't end up getting the vt/vs series III mags, came across these HSV ones instead pretty good price I think since they're almost spotless. Been repainted in a high gloss silver and don't know what the tyre brands are, I haven't heard of them, hopefully they'll be good because they have plenty of tread.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

7. VS_Pete

VS_Pete Donating Member

Members Ride:
    VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
    Like them wheels

8. afstruct

Members Ride:
    Thanks, I'm very happy with them, the paint's better on them than on the ute.
    The bonnet insulation was looking pretty crappy , so ordered a new one and it turned earlier in the week.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Also brake pedal rubber was reasonably worn (good excuse ha) so have a HSV pedal set which would have been delivered on Friday if I wasn't off buying wheels, so have to wait a few more days for them.

9. VS 5.0

VS 5.0 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV Z Series M6
    Nice looking ride. Those new rims suit it so much better.

10. afstruct

Members Ride:
    Thanks, yeah those rims are probably my first choice of the different styles I was thinking of , I just didn't think be able to get any of them, so I'm very lucky when they became available and within a few hours travel of me. As a bonus they're in really great nick.
    So the pedal covers turned up and I've fitted them today.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

11. afstruct

Members Ride:
    Well today I finally painted top of the inlet manifold, something I should have done when I had it off for the cam change then I could have done the sides as well but since you really only notice the top it's done. It's not really as bright and shiny as in photo but that's because the rest of the engine bay came out quite dark in the photo. Also painted the cruise control cable bracket.
    Now what stands out is I need to do the engine covers, so that'll probably take even longer. Need to find that grey I'm guessing it's the same colour as the stroker engines are painted
    [​IMG]

12. gtrboyy

gtrboyy Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    vt ss & lc gtr
    Grr forgot name of grey,easy enough to on sc forum.
    It's colour for the stroker engines,red sticker/badge looks off later vs or vt.

Nifty little trick seeing as you're cleaning up the bay is unbolt fuel rail spin the injectors around so you can hide wiring under fuel rail & covers.

Use compressed air first to blow any debri or junk away beforehand so nothing goes down holes before you do it & after bit of spray on injector seals or replace if need be.

As a caution,pop out f/pump fuse fire her up wait for it to stall..no more pressurised fuel.

13. afstruct

Members Ride:
    Thanks for that I'll definitely do that at some point soon. The 185 badges I put on as they were missing when I bought the ute , guess they went M.I.A when previous owner painted all the covers. I know they're meant to be silver but I like the grey, I recon it looks better.
    First thing but is radiator out yet again. When I opened the bonnet to paint manifold , noticed this.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    I knew it was leaking ( a little weap from tank and a leak from tube to tank at lower passenger side ) I've just been putting it off. I feel like I've been donating money to the coolant supply people !!!!! Some of it my fault!!!
    Long story is!! radiator leak repaired in april 2015, then towards the end of the year hall effect sensor went capput , decided to take manifold off as thought it would be easier that way to change dissy and coil. Then in december decided not only to keep ute but to modify it a bit.
    End of april radiator and manifold off again along with everything else needed to do a cam change. Put it all back together, ran the cam in. Fired it up again the next day and after that would't start, just struggled to crank , tried jump starting , put battery on charger still on good . While under ute looking at starter motor noticed radiator is leaking again ( at least it's from a different point ) , Starter's friyed , pulled it apart and tried fixing it but ended up with a new starter.Got the ute tuned and then out with the radiator again and off to be repaired again !!!
    So hopefully third time lucky , fingers crossed and all that stuff . Probably take it out on tuesday , give it to radiator guy wednesday and have it back on friday

14. gtrboyy

Members Ride:
    vt ss & lc gtr
    I think 185i decals might be correct,just looks weird to me on dark grey covers.Vaguely remember grey decals too.

Tend to get them mixed up like the maloo guard stickers except red s3 sticker I like & wrecked one out.

Keep thinking Atlas grey is cover colour but sounds wrong when say it haha

Your ute reminds me of brother's old vr maloo ute,same colour fitted up with all s3 maloo bits...was quick daily once he let me the do basic mods(shiftkit,exhaust,diff gears + more),he still regrets selling it lol.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
  15. dobesz

dobesz 355ssute

Members Ride:
    vs ss ute
    Dont see many of these around anymore, coming along nicely.

16. afstruct

Members Ride:
    Dropped radiator into get fixed, hopefully, this afternoon.
    Yeah gray engine badges were strokers.
    The angular, silver , black maloo badges were vr, vs I, vs II. Can't get silver ones anymore, have seen after market ones but they're not exact copies. I prefer the series III ones. I'd be interested to know what else you did to your brothers maloo and what it was like to drive.

Thanks, yeah only seen two others while I've had mine. People see mine around enough, done just under 80,000 klms in 4 years.
    That's one nice SS you've got . You don't see many of them around either. I looked at getting one in 2011 but didn't find one I liked ended up with a vs spack v8 5sp it got written off in 2012. Having said not many around where I was working at that timetwo guys had ones. One a nice blue one, not his everyday car, well looked after. The other a black later series one with the roller engine he drove it hard don't think he looked after it every well. But he sore a vs maloo for auction when I needed the next vehicle, didn't get that one, it was a big rough. This one came on the market just as the other ones auction finished.
    I'm only about half way through reading your build, noted that you put au thermo fans on. Did you cut the fan blades down to get them to fit and modify the au fan housing.
    Also got HDT headlight covers after I saw them on yours, don't know how they'll look on mine but find out eventually, although probably won't fit until I fix and get bumper repainted. They look better than the holden ones, just whether they'll suite. Don't know why I don't already have headlight covers, had them on the other utes

17. dobesz

dobesz 355ssute

Members Ride:
    vs ss ute
    Yea mate au thermos are a great mod, can do away with the clutch fan that way. They pretty much bolt straight on, get some from a wrecker or ebay for 100 bucks or so. Have to cut a little bit of the housing so your inlet and outlet hoses on rad fit. I just used the angle grinder then a belt sander to make holes neat, its bolted at top of rad and then zip ties at bottom of rad. Had that mod for 6 years maybe.
    Then just need a thermo switch like davis craig make etc. They pull a **** load of air, if you stand beside my car it pumps hot air out the fans are pulling that much air through. Never over heats etc.

18. gtrboyy

Members Ride:
    vt ss & lc gtr
    3.7 gears
    transgo shiftkit from Craigs Automatics + towpack transcooler
    pacemakers,twin vn-s cats,twin 2.5" to 3" single over diff
    added cold-air tube from bar to airbox with hsv otr
    vdo speedo convertor
    Had auto shifts corrected in 185i memcal & fan turn on.
    Pedders lowered bumpstops(car was uncontrollable on shift change lol)

Fuel economy actually improved Campbelltown-Botany trips to work.

Was about 2-3k in parts almost all free labour...brother was/is major tightarse.Was a weapon of a daily for the mods/budget,nice neat almost subtle green vr maloo that felt lot quicker than what it was also sounded nice when up it.

Hilarous into 2nd or kickdown it would step out nicely then slide back into line...on standard bumpstops with lowered springs it was dangerous haha.
    Brother was shite steerer & overconfident so had to fix it make it easy to control.Fun in dry,wild in wet haha

2800 stally,single thermo & greenfoam tune were final mods I wanted to do but brother offloaded the car for something new.
    It was getting old..bit too nice a daily & he wouldnt pay for parts even if I got them cheap & did labour.

19. dobesz

dobesz 355ssute

Members Ride:
    vs ss ute
    Lol should see my one into 2nd and on kick down. The harrop diff locks up hard and that little bit of extra power i have makes it a little skatey to say the least haha

20. gtrboyy

Members Ride:
    vt ss & lc gtr
    I loved the way it stepped out 2-3mtrs to left then give it smallest required amount of opposite lock to keep it there as it smoothly come back just one hand on wheel.

My brother just never got the feel or intuition for it he made it look messy as hell & unco.He never listened....put it under a truck trailer showing off haha

Was pointless trying to teach him you could drift it smooth & easily down straight damp road without thrashing it or losing control.

Must say engine had over 260-280 thou before he drysumped it,lost oil pressure drove/dumped it at my house to fix. & it lived again.

Th700 had nearly 300thou never rebuilt just shiftkit yet was still good.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016