Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ford Ranger

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by quick308, Nov 22, 2019.

1. Calaber

Calaber Nil Bastardo Carborundum

Members Ride:
    CG Captiva 5 Series 2
    The current ads for some Ranger variants is between 40+k over 50k. For a four door barge that is still a truck, tarted up as a "family transport". Even some SUV's have to represent more sensible buying than that.

VS 5.0 likes this.
  2. figjam

figjam Donating Member

Members Ride:
    Monaro CV8, Cross 6 Crewman, Territory Ghia.
    Sort of …... same chassis, same cab, different guards, different engine and gear-boxes
    IF, if, I was going to buy a soot blower, it would be a D-max. Somewhat old tech, proven, with less electronic aids to save me from myself.

3. Fu Manchu

Fu Manchu Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VZ V6
    I would buy a Colorado with the Supercharged LSX from HSV but I don’t have 100,000+ and if I did, I be smart enough to put that 100large to better use.

Tonner Matt and marty351 like this.
  4. Deuce

Deuce Super Stock

Members Ride:
    '94 VR SS V8
    And I am rebuilding a 1970 4x4. I can then put whatever I want in it and only spend half as much.

Tonner Matt, Fu Manchu and Lex like this.
  5. JMP

JMP Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VY 5.7 Berlina
    I don't see too much of an issue with someone asking a forum about a different brand of car, I understand telling him to go to the Ford Forum but I've been a member on there and there probably wouldn't be too many people to give him an honest opinion on them as from what I've seen there's a lot of Ford owners and fans that think everything Ford is fantastic and cant bring themselves to criticise it in anyway. Not to say it's not the same with Holden owners and fans but if you want true indication of something it's best to ask a few different sources.

Deuce likes this.
  6. Calaber

Members Ride:
    CG Captiva 5 Series 2
    I would think the Ford forum would have many more members able to provide views on the Ranger based on their personal experience, even if bias was present. Its just as likely that asking a Holden forum about a Ford will garner responses along the lines of "its a **** heap". So far, there have only been a small number of responses in this thread actually relating to the car and really, what has the OP learned? That the 2. 2 is gutless and little else. I'm sure the Ford forum would have been more helpful than we have. It seems that most of us here a) don't like Rangers, b) don't like trucks and c) know SFA about Rangers anyway.

7. figjam

figjam Donating Member

Members Ride:
    Monaro CV8, Cross 6 Crewman, Territory Ghia.
    I occasionally look at various subjects on the Ford Forum ( you have to be a member to view specific threads, unlike this forum) and it is not all roses and sunshine for Ranger owners. They have their problems, and justifiable gripes. Yes, there a lot of Ford fanboys who absolutely hate Holdens, and vice versa.
    But there are many other sites to get info, ‘Carsales’ and ‘Whichcar’ for tests, faults, opinions, statistics, and even more opinions.
    It is a matter of being interested enough to do your own exploring and research, rather than asking people who have no interest in the vehicle that you want to know about. OP, are you reading this ?
    So, in future, if I consider my advice regarding something like a Ford Powershift gearbox is not needed, so be it. I should know that if I have a good idea, it is best kept to myself.

Tonner Matt likes this.
  8. Fu Manchu

Fu Manchu Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VZ V6
    I like 4x4 utes.
    I just don’t like the quality and innovations on what is being offered by any of the manufacturers. Interiors are as good as an 05 Commodore. Styling is nothing special. Finish quality is as good or worse. Plastics that look cheap and sound cheap.

Tech can be added older cars now.

I like Fords. I like old Hondas. I like cars that are something special, good driving cars. Cars of any sort that if it was at a meet, you’d say That’s done well but not my cup of tea”. We can all appreciate a nice enough car. Nearly everyone on here would be of similar mind. No one is bagging out Ford, just feeling a bit out of our depth with offerings OP advice.

The whole Ford sucks Holden sucks is something less intelligent immature minds are prone to.

VS_Pete and marty351 like this.
  9. Tonner Matt

Tonner Matt Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
    Yeah I'm a sh#tload of fun, just ask anyone who knows me
    If you're ever in Darwin look me up cause I'll quite happily invite you around to my place and tell you straight to your face that you're a lazy prick, because at the end of the day you're the one who couldn't be assed bothering to spend a few minutes to join up to any of the multiple 4wd forums out there
    Your lazy arse attitude has highlighted the fact that you're the one who needs to grow up, and you're only making yourself look like a dumbass with your piss poor attitude towards the offers of advice already given
    I'll say it again.........….If you want to know about a specific 4wd, join a 4wd forum...Thats where the all the 4wd owners are who will be more than happy to share their thoughts and experiences with you

Ole' mate Forest summed it up pretty well...……………………………….
    Momma-Always-Said-Sometimes-600x398.jpg

Also, I didn't reply to your post, so maybe it's you who should just "Jog On" if you can't handle peoples comments and opinions on the internet
    Or just have a spoonful of concrete and harden the f#ck up, because you really are coming across as a bit of a princess

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
    Calaber and VS 5.0 like this.
  10. VS 5.0

VS 5.0 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV Z Series M6
    Tell us what you really think ;)

Calaber, marty351 and Tonner Matt like this.
  11. Tonner Matt

Members Ride:
    VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
    It's just what came to mind when I replied
    Too many over sensitive wombats on here lately who ask for advice, and then get all upset and carry on like twats when they don't agree with the members who offer their opinions and points of view

figjam, Calaber, VS 5.0 and 1 other person like this.
  12. Tonner Matt

Members Ride:
    VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
    Calaber I've got to say, you're always here to offer no nonsense and common sense advice when others are clearly losing their marbles
    Good job again sir :)

VS_Pete, Calaber and VS 5.0 like this.
  13. Calaber

Members Ride:
    CG Captiva 5 Series 2
    Well, shucks sir, thank you. (goes all red faced and embarrassed).

Lex, Tonner Matt and VS_Pete like this.
  14. Drawnnite

Drawnnite Obviously Unsensible

Members Ride:
    2000 Vs Ute
    Just to answer the OPs question.
    You haven't exactly explained what the purpose of it is for.
    is it towing? cruising the high country? being a mix of a family vehicle and a toy hauler on weekends?

Unfortunately if you cant find what you want in your budget you might need to look at other options. or keep saving for the budget to be in a higher bracket.
    Have been in a few Rangers and they are alright, except they have all been the higher end ones and more 2016-2018ish.
    From a practical view they have been fine. They all drove well and the tech in the newer Wildtrak was pretty interesting.
    Although I do have to say, the Uncles BT50 is pretty nice. So that's another option for you.

quick308 likes this.
  15. UTE042_NZ

UTE042_NZ Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    MY17 Magnum Ute
    I had a (2nd-hand) '99 Hilux 3L non-turbo manual 4x4 Extra cab for 11 years, then traded it in on a new '15 Ranger 3.2L turbo auto 4x4 Super cab. The jump in power and the increased comfort with luxuries like cruise control were impressive, but the build quality and paint were poor. Showing plenty of stone chips and a little rust after 3 months. Building vehicles in Thailand humidity and weather can be a gamble. I don't think the Ford would age as well as the Toyota did. Traded it on a '17 Holden 6.2L brute after 2 years.

Wouldn't go back to a 4x4 oil burner unless I had to (I sold the land that I needed 4WD to get in and out of).

quick308 likes this.
  16. quick308

quick308 Member

Members Ride:
    1999 Landrover disco series 1, 2006 Street Bob
    I need something I can do a bit of beach driving in, I like going over to a lot of the islands like morton island, and Frazer where you need the 4x4 to get around, It would also be handy to use out west when I go deer shooting. It does need to be a family mover as I've got two kids. If I wasn't a shooter I probably wouldn't be looking at the dual cab utes, as the 4x4 wagons such as the patrol, and LandCruiser you can get up to 8 seats. Better people mover but I doubt my wife is going to impressed with me carrying around a dead animals in the back, wouldn't be good for spotlighting either.

17. quick308

quick308 Member

Members Ride:
    1999 Landrover disco series 1, 2006 Street Bob
    Yeah those hiluxs are a great car. I had the exact same one, I sold it to my dad years ago one of the worst desisions I made. He still has it, and loves it.

I have always been a Toyota man, but I'm keeping an open mind. Those tritons I have mixed feelings about, I had a few of those as company cars and the gear boxes were crap, they kept slipping out of gear all the time. I hear the older ones are good though.

Thanks for the info though, they're a good looking car, but maybe not the best bang for buck. Something to think about.

18. JMP

JMP Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VY 5.7 Berlina
    I never said he shouldn't ask the Ford Forum, my comment was along the lines of asking around more than just 1 source for a more true indication, asking the Ford forum will give him a more biased opinion so balance it up with views from other forums is probably a better option.

19. Drawnnite

Drawnnite Obviously Unsensible

Members Ride:
    2000 Vs Ute
    A lot of the guys I used to work with had hilux's or used the work lux's to go up the high country and go shooting.
    I guess you could say that they are the old standard as to which to use.
    as for beach driving, Reaper used to have an adventra and that was pretty good for the sand.

The cousin has an older pk era ranger. He goes offroad a fair bit with it, so they are capable and possibly below your price range.
    Although personally im not a massive fan of them, but could be an option for you.

20. Calaber

Members Ride:
    CG Captiva 5 Series 2
    I wasn't responding to your post specifically and you are basically suggesting something similar to me. If you look at the earliest posts in this thread, my first post suggested "asking the man who owns one" on the Ford forum.