Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Flying aussie flags on your car means you are racist.

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Turd Ferguson, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Jonah 101

Jonah 101 Undefined

Members Ride:
    R32 Skyline
    "Im not racist, Im right!"

2. showbags

showbags SENIOR EL'BAGO

Members Ride:
    VT Calais, BMW 135 m sport
    Meh, I classify these flags in the same category as reindeer antlers.

3. c2105026

c2105026 Active Member

Members Ride:
    2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
    The OP suggested 'more likely' to be racist. Its not cut and dry, black and white.....even non-flag fliers showed some potentially racist undertones.

4. Jonno

Jonno :)

Members Ride:
    ;)
    If thats racism tere is really no hope for Australia

5. Jonesy484

Jonesy484 OfficialChadyMeetOrganisr

Members Ride:
    MY12 VE 2 SSV REDLINE WAGON
    OOOOOps im Racist, and i will very racist tomorrow as i will be flying 3 flags and a southern cross

[​IMG]

6. Ghost

Ghost Donating Member

Members Ride:
    Vs Commodore berlina Sedan 1996
    I'll fly 8 and get the f@&k off where full sticker :p

7. sweefu

sweefu New Member

Members Ride:
    VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
    Needs more Southern Cross.

8. hi_ryder

hi_ryder Donating Member

Members Ride:
    vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
    i like the bit that said they had to miss out on the bbq or eat muslim meat lol...

9. GAMBLR

GAMBLR More trouble than u think

Members Ride:
    '04 VZ Calais LS1
    I wonder how many other first world countries would allow this sort of tripe. Germany? England? US? Doubt it. This is the only country the immigrants feel like they can take over from us. And now flying our national symbol is a sign you might be a racist?
    If racism is defined as thinking that the country as a whole should stand up to all immigrants and pitch the "our way or the highway" motif, then I'm racist. Seems like every time they don't get their own way, they play the racism card.

And before people accuse me of being a typical full Australian bogan, I'm actually half Italian. Difference being, my grandparents contributed to this country without screaming murder when they didn't get their own way.

10. monkeys437

monkeys437 New Member

Members Ride:
    VS Stato l67
    What a bullshit filled mickey mouse survey.

This came from a very small sample size of 513 people and only around 100 people surveyed had ever put an Australian flag on their car.

From this 100 only around 40 people surveyed believed the white Australia policy helped Australia avoid some problems others had experiences..... this does not make them a racist by any means it just means they answered "yes" to a very loaded question.

This is hardly a convincing bit of evidence to start calling people with Australian flags racist. I don't know why the media gives these Muppets any recognition

11. Fletch_QLD

Fletch_QLD Member

Members Ride:
    VU II SS
    IAW the Monkey.

The numbers do not establish a statistical significance. The question may establish an idea of the individuals political leanings, but does not establish 'racist' in my book.

FWIW - the sample size should be about 10% of the population ( Parkin's Lot: Sample size and statistical significance ) and the variable should split the sample 50/50.

anyway ...

12. quick308

quick308 Member

Members Ride:
    1999 Landrover disco series 1, 2006 Street Bob
    I don't put flags on my car ever. But after reading this I think I will. Not as bad as the kiwis putting that leaf sticker on the back of their cars, at least we're doing it in OUR OWN country.

13. Banicks

Banicks New Member

Members Ride:
    VE Calais '07
    Actually the whole article highlights a survey they did of people who put flags on their cars indicated a majority of dislike towards immigrants. But the media spin it towards “People who display Aussie flags on their cars are racist” to get the clicks and attention.

The thing that annoys me most is how widely the term 'racist' is used these days. The media and people in general will happily label something or someone 'racist' if it disagrees or goes against the wants, desires or wishes of ethnic groups or if a business can profit from the term.

Official definition of racist:

1. the belief that races have distinctive cultural characteristics determined by hereditary factors and that this endows some races with an intrinsic superiority over others
    2. abusive or aggressive behaviour towards members of another race on the basis of such a belief

I find that myself and people I share beliefs with are labelled racist because the word is inheritably a taboo word in Australia that takes anything you believe or have said and turns it into an invalid argument because apparently you have something against their race.

For example, I am a big supporter of Male White Rights – in Australia we have become a minority, our government rarely provides support to us – instead it goes towards supporting immigrants who wish to enter this country illegally or legally. I believe that we should look after our own before we can look after other people, we are failing to do so.

But to an immigrant, all they heard then was White, blames immigrants – Racist or Nazi.

I believe that if someone wishes to move to another country, it is respectful and required to understand and abide by that countries laws, assimilate to the best of one’s ability and learn the lingo of the land to ensure easy communication and dealings into the future with its population. I believe that one should not expect the country to change to suit what someone had back home.

By what I believe, do I fit the definition of racist? No. I do not believe that Australians or other races are superior or inferior to each other. I do not even display abusive or aggressive behaviour towards people who live in Australia and go against my beliefs, because the great thing about Australia and myself is that I am tolerant of others – I do not expect, for example, a muslim to come to Australia and assimilate my religion. I just expect them to make the best effort to respect our laws, respect our beliefs and assimilate as many aspects as he can to become the best muslim Australian that he/she possibly can become.

Now I realise values and respect in a muslim culture can be vastly different to what is deemed appropriate in Australia. For example, the burqa incident – putting religion aside it is an identification issue. Religion must be put aside in matters of road safety – the driver had to be identified and she did not want to be identified, so much so that a false report was placed.

In my opinion, this is one of two things. #1: It was a racist attack by a muslim against what was obviously a white male officer of the law. #2: It was the pitiful attempt of a woman attempting to cash in on the “racist” phenomenon that is sweeping our nation. In either case, I don’t go around tarnishing both of these ideals to women who wear the burqa. Because I recognise in life, each person is an individual not like the last.

I don’t believe that all muslims are the same, I don’t believe that all Australians are the same. I do know that there are extremists on both sides, but I know enough to not generalise words or perspectives and tarnish an entire race, religion or belief with the same brush.

I find it down right INSULTING, that the media are so disrespectful of Australians and the populations intelligence that they place a “racist” spin on the Australian flag car display. It’s hard enough to wear the southern cross without being labelled “racist”, or believe in a unified Australia with white rights without being labelled “racist”, but to now have a mass published article on display telling us that the majority of Australian flag car bearing drivers are racist or have an element of hate towards race – it’s a spit in the face and shows how PATHETIC our media companies have become.

It’s a shame to think that this article alone may dissuade someone from displaying their pride of being Australian for fear of being labelled “racist”, and it is a further derogatory attempt to put down those who want to promote Australian rights and equality.

At the end of the day, call me racist, nazi or even Lucy if that’s your cup of tea. But it’s all sticks and stones.

Will I be placing the Australian flag on my car tomorrow? I never take it off.

“Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumoured by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.” - Hindu Prince Gautama Siddharta

14. Julie

Julie moderator- for now anyway

Members Ride:
    Blown VT Calais 355 + SC VY V6
    Racist, probably not. Bogan, definately!

15. quick308

quick308 Member

Members Ride:
    1999 Landrover disco series 1, 2006 Street Bob
    Oh ffs, so easy to turn something harmless and fun into something negative. You can't do hardly anything these days without being labelled as something negative.

16. rb26dett

rb26dett New Member

Members Ride:
    VT SS S2 A4
    I have 2 small Australain flag stickers on my car. I am worse than Hitler.

17. VT_SS

VT_SS -

Members Ride:
    EVIL304
    Australia Day= Have a beer with family and friends eat some lamb and ####in celebrate being an aussie and fly a flag if you want.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  18. plughole

plughole New Member

Members Ride:
    VE Series 11 Sportswagon
    This survey just means I put more Aussie flags on all of our cars ,trucks and motorbikes.As one of the previous comments alluded to, what country would let some minority group or groups tell you wether you can fly the Aussie flag.Everybody that i have talked to that has gone overseas has said great to visit other countries etc but Australia is still the best country to live in and they can't wait to get home.The more you downgrade our country, the more it will become just like the places that people flee from or whatever.I could go on for hours but I won't.

19. calais24/7

calais24/7 Mucca Mad Boys

Members Ride:
    VS Calais II 5L, 98 rodeo v6
    i have one, if it's racist ill go and buy another ten, sick of everyone whinging.

20. TinSnips

TinSnips Polish all the things...

Members Ride:
    VF SSV Ute
    England, if anything, is worse than us - at least on par - the st george cross has been all but outlawed for years (except for sport) and now, even the union jack is apparently causing offence to people walking past it on a daily basis.

I actually think it's sad, more than insulting or anything else, that people are made to feel lesser citizens for being Australian. I'm not condoning racism, intolerance or any of the other terms being bandied about but what happened to equality? Or are some nationalities more equal than others. I'm well aware that some immigrants do draw the short straws with some Australians - but swinging the pendulum to the opposite side is not right either.

Patriotism, like religion, is fine so long as it's not taken to extremes. When that happens, it doesn't matter what nationality or religion you are, you're automatically a knob head. If more people worried a little more about their own behaviour and a little less about the 'greater good' then maybe, just maybe, the greater good would look after itself.

Is there an official date and time of death of Common Sense?