Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

"Expert" claims dropping speed limits by 10kmph will save lives...

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Jesterarts, Jan 1, 2012.

1. c2105026

c2105026 Active Member

Members Ride:
    2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
    Mathematically there is about a x^3.5 (i.e. between third and fourth power) between speed and crash risk. So yes slowing people down should save lives - however, it will come at the cost of increased travel times for goods and services.

The best road system is one that has lowest overall operating cost - a study done by MUARC in 2002ish found out that the most efficient freeway speeds were 120 for cars, 100 for trucks; on rural highways 100ish for both vehicle types; and on substandard rural roads to be 80-90. However this study was done in 2002 when fuel was 85 cents a litre; operating costs are a part of the model, so these would change.

2. Full Spectrum

Full Spectrum Bro it's a VW your Audi!

Members Ride:
    Berlina V6
    Was listening to this talk on the radio this morning. Cut the cbd speeds to 30kmph save pedestrians. What we need is pedestrian education not lower speed limits. For fat to long i've watched people ignore traffic and walk onto roads in harms way. Last month i watched an elderly man cross a very dangerous road less than 20 meters from traffic lights. He was slow and clearly hampered yet he went on. Another time was doing 10kmph in a carpark one guy walks past a car and looks at me and proceeds to walk right infront of teh car. It's perfect weather for visibility the cars silver and you were 10 meters away. So sorry let me stop and let you walk on;). People are ignorant when walking. Gone are the days of look right look left, when the road is clear of traffic yada yada its their road they walk where they want to and probably drive that way.

3. Drawnnite

Drawnnite Obviously Unsensible

Members Ride:
    2000 Vs Ute
    exactly.

yet people would rather blame someone else for not taking care of themselves.
    if someone is dumb enoough to run out on the road infront of you like a kangaroo does. then simply its natural selection at work =P

think of the food chain. the human eats the shark. the shark eats the fish. the fish eat the insects.
    do you think the shark is going to suddenly stop to let the fish cross the coral?
    i doubt it =P

4. ben315vz

ben315vz Donating Member

Members Ride:
    '05 Holden VZ Calais V8
    Sharks eat humans as well :)

5. kuzman89

kuzman89 Active Member

Members Ride:
    VE SV6 ute
    Talking about stupid pedestrians. I was passing fountain gate to get onto the hallam bypass (monash freeway) and this stupid bitch with her hair all covered up was trying to cross after the round about, where there was no footpath. She almost got hit getting into the middle median strip (island) and kept going. Worst thing about it all was the fact she was pushing a pram!! The majority of pedestrians that get hit deserve it.

6. Darren_L

Darren_L Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VH SS
    nows that is one of the most intellegent posts in this thread

7. Full Spectrum

Full Spectrum Bro it's a VW your Audi!

Members Ride:
    Berlina V6
    Exactly right. At-least with kangaroos they get scared and disorientated, We're our own worst enemies. You sit back on the news and hear someone was hit by a car, then more than not they mention a busy road. Our 40kmph limit around schools works stuff 30kmph. What they should enforce is a points system knocking down stupid people who try run walk or snail across roads and don't care for oncoming traffic. This will keep them off the road and on crossings:p.

And we eat sharks:p.

8. quick308

quick308 Member

Members Ride:
    1999 Landrover disco series 1, 2006 Street Bob
    Especially the smart arses that do on purpose. I've driven through Palm beach on the Gold coast late at night, and you get these nobs that'll walk out in front of your car, then start walking backwards to hold you up longer. Don't drive through there as often now, to many bogans LOL

9. sticksicks

sticksicks Member

Members Ride:
    yer ma
    'Experts' are just middle managers jusitifying their existence on the tax-payers payroll!
    Get used to walking, cos all the various departments have sworn to get the road toll to zero,
    and the only way to achieve that is to ban all motor vehicles on all roads.
    F-----g numpties wasting my tax dollars in the pursuit of impossible goals......mumble, whinge, moan, grrrrr