Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

"Expert" claims dropping speed limits by 10kmph will save lives...

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Jesterarts, Jan 1, 2012.

1. quick308

quick308 Member

Members Ride:
    1999 Landrover disco series 1, 2006 Street Bob
    Why don't you just stop for a break on the way home, i'm only talking about 5-10 mins. That at least would be enough to wake you up. I don't know whats worse a drunk driver or a fatigued driver, no excuse for either of them.

2. ben315vz

ben315vz Donating Member

Members Ride:
    '05 Holden VZ Calais V8
    Yeah I usually stop at McDonalds on the way home haha, there is one at Ballan just off the highway so its easy to get in and out. Anyway, its been 4 years and i'm used to driving those long trips now, it was mainly happening when I was doing my 1st year and wasn't used to travelling so much. 4 years later and it doesn't seem as long as it used to.

3. Krisp

Krisp New Member

Members Ride:
    D22 St-r Navara
    So at 10km/hr zone in a caravan park, no one should die? yet a little kid was killed a few days ago in such a zone. The driver didnt even know they had run someone over. Its not the speed that kills, its the awareness level that does. Stricter measures should be in place to check eye sight before everything else. I know of quite a few people on the road, even though they are young, their vision was not as good as when they did their tests 5 years ago. Yes one of them hasnt had an accident in that period, mainly due to the passengers pointing out dangers on the road .

4. aaronevolution

aaronevolution Donating Member

Members Ride:
    TURISMO VZ SS 6.0
    Where was the kids parents? Maybe they should have kept a closer eye on them.

5. Krisp

Krisp New Member

Members Ride:
    D22 St-r Navara
  6. quick308

quick308 Member

Members Ride:
    1999 Landrover disco series 1, 2006 Street Bob
    Thats true, but thats besides the point. As a driver you have to be aware of everything around you, not just for their sake but for your own safety. How would you like to remember hitting a child for the rest of your life, whether it was your fault or not it wouldn't be nice.

I'll also add while i was working about 6 months ago on roadworks site, an old guy ran into a road barrier i was sitting on, not hard enough to send me flying, but enough to scare the **** outta me, i'll never do that again. He didn't even stop, totally oblivious to what he did. He was only doing about 30km's in a 40km zone.

7. Drawnnite

Drawnnite Obviously Unsensible

Members Ride:
    2000 Vs Ute
    the slower we go. the longer it takes to get somewhere. the more fatigued you get.

what his idea should have been is:

lets raise the speed limit by 10km/h+
    lets have a harder licencing system
    lets build our roadways better/smarter
    lets enforce laws (keep left anyone?)
    and lets get the morons off the road.

but maybe the vic gov has done something afterall.
    its gone frmo the nanny state to the nanny country?

8. kcpwns

kcpwns Kicker - Livin' Loud :)

Members Ride:
    VY V6 Equipe
    My thoughts exactly!

9. strgas

strgas GRA = REAL HP

Members Ride:
    MERC W124 / toys WB tonner WB Panelvan project
    lower the limit 10 kmh its hard enough now to sit on the limit due to the flow of traffic and every man and his dog towing a trailer or a boat , the left lane has become a joke on most highways and freeways these days , the slower drivers sit on 80 in the left lane and cause such a tail back which forces other drivers to go around them and entering traffic to slow to their speed instead of the posted limits , then there's the morons who thread thru the traffic like a needle trying to get ahead of the traffic cutting back and fourth cutting other drivers off who hit the brakes and slow down causes the drivers behind them to slow down . better driver education is need to improve flow and attitudes of drivers , as for the age of the cars it still comes back to the driver behind the wheel who's controlling the car , and the driver who maintains his car or not , seen to many cars in need of repairs and many that have been poorly modified new and old . end of the day you might be the worlds best driver in the worlds safest car but the worlds worst driver and dodgy car is coming round the bend or following you in traffic .

10. Huntington

Huntington Donating Member

Members Ride:
    VX SS
    I think minux was referring to you falling asleep could cause an accident that harmed others. Although I doubt/hope that your comments were not that serious and that you practice safe driving skills daily.

and I am sure someone would notice if you did get killed in an accident, that comment was below you. #### even I respect your build, and would notice, so stop talking ****

you right though, Ive been doing that drive for while and nowdays it feels so quick its not funny.
    As long as your driving safe, I will give you a wave next time I see your VS on the highway

11. ben315vz

ben315vz Donating Member

Members Ride:
    '05 Holden VZ Calais V8
    Ok thanks mate :) But yeah as I said, the first year when I started doing all that driving I used to get tired easily and it seemed like it would take forever to get home, but now i'm used to it and haven't felt tired for a while now and the distance doesn't seem so far anymore. Plus I do stop sometimes, even just to get fuel.

I do personally think that 110m/h isn't fast enough on the western highway, couldn't imagine going 100 km/h Melbourne to Ballarat everyday.

12. detox_nath83

detox_nath83 Another VL Driver

Members Ride:
    VL Turbo Commo
    am i silly or am i not getting the decimal in Fatalities.. ppl r a whole unit :p

lowering wont do nothing... raising will do nothing.. is all BS... ppl always take shortcuts and take "Risks" its all part of impatient road users...

i can afford a newer car like stated above as well.. do i need one? Nope.. rather put a deposit on my house

13. ucwepn

ucwepn America just kicked in yo

Members Ride:
    WH statesman 5.7
    Get rid of muppet pedestrians with ipods shoved in their ears who just walk out into traffic. Road toll will be reduced.

14. Drawnnite

Members Ride:
    2000 Vs Ute
    getting rid of experts who apparently know what we all want will get rid of rage.
    (or hit and run deaths of said experts...)

15. rob_phill

rob_phill New Member

Members Ride:
    VP
    I would like to see speed limits in residential areas reduced to 40, and limits on highways increased to say 120/130.

my street for example has a huge 50 sign at the beginning of it, but it will be a cold day in hell before i ever do 50 in a street like that!

16. monkeys437

monkeys437 New Member

Members Ride:
    VS Stato l67
    I think the poor mentality of Australian drivers is the way it is because we don't have roads like the Autobahn. Just have a look at drivers sitting in the far right lane doing 90km/h thinking they're doing the right thing. I think driver education needs a serious looking at

But this clown wanting to reduce speed limits doesn't help the poor driver mentality. Sure some speed limits should be reduced, but It wouldn't hurt to raise a few either. Advocating a blanker state wide 10km/h reduction rather than assessing case by case is just stupid

17. elmaso

elmaso Member

Members Ride:
    VS berlina
    my head would ####ing explode if i was only doing 80 from Geelong to Melbourne.

18. Drawnnite

Members Ride:
    2000 Vs Ute
    i travel from up north all the way below the south east suburbs daily for work.
    80 on the monash is a joke. just because of no emergency lane *rage*
    same with the calder.... 80 because of no emergency lane...

no one uses the left lane these days so lets just pull it out anyway =P

todays herald sun page 2:

experts (again... *sigh*) want all shopping areas and cbds of citys (including say bendio and geelong size) dropped to 40kph.
    one president of the pedestrian society group thing wants 30kph!
    during the day you can barely get through them any faster then 20km/h anyway!
    the main business street where i live is 40kph anyway. and the only time i get to do that is before 8am. if im lucky... =P

if your dumb enough to cross the road where you shouldnt and you get hit its your own fault.
    fine the moron who is in hospital for broken spines/necks etc for jaywalking!
    as he/she was in the wrong. not the person driving at/below the limit and on the roadway.

even when i cross the road at the designated pedestrian crossings i double check.
    the amount of cars that do go through are nuts.
    but do i worry? no... thats why i double check....
    to take care of my own safety... which i doubt people do anymore

19. elmaso

elmaso Member

Members Ride:
    VS berlina
    may seem a little harsh, but can someone set fire to these "experts"?

what is there expertise anyway? being complete nob goblins?

20. Praz

Praz New Member

Members Ride:
    09' 410kw VE SS UTE, 220kw R34 GT-T
    What a Joke. They need to increase by 10 kmh