Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

engine swap?????

QKVNV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5ltr
hi forum, i am just wondering! i am swapping my engines over. I am putting in a VS V8 into my VN V8, is this just a straight engine swap?? or must i change the looms? some input would be much appreciated.

lowvpcal

Reaction score
Members Ride
2 x WH HSV Grange 255 ls1 #0036 & #0167
pretty sure its a straight swap may to get the memcal recalibrated. what i would do though in ur case is strip the vs 5ltr down and rebuild it with new parts and cause the vs block came factory cleared drop a 355 stroker crank and rods and what not in there little head work valves springs retainers mild cam to suit get tuned and ull have a monster of a motor

QKVNV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5ltr
thanks mate, thats all i wanted to hear! heart stopped racing lol! as for a rebuild! i am thinking of rebuilding my spare 5ltr, only to suit a turbo setup. for just the engine swap is needed.

james_ryan02

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden HG Prem / VP commo
vpcal, hey mate, just wondering, i just pulled out a Vp 5.0litre, outta my vp and putting it in my hg prem,

does the vp5.0litre come factory cleared for a 355 stroker? if not whats the best combo i should fit the engine out with? aprox 2 grand

thanks guys

lowvpcal

Reaction score
Members Ride
the vp is not factory cleared only from vr onwards obviously for the gts and senator with the 215i engine (factory 5.7 stroker). im not sure what you mean by best combo to fit the engine out with but if i was in ur situation is either save a bit more to the stroker (complete eagle 355 stroker kit is only $1499 i think) and send the block and stoker kit away to get cleared balanced and cleaned alternatively get and acl race rebuild kit, crow cams cam and chip package, double valve springs from a ls1 slightly oversized valves and study a few manuals and have a crack at building the new engine myself cheers
dave

QKVNV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5ltr
another question, since i am dropping a vs engine into my vn (straight swap) do i need to change the dizzy from my vn engine(spark plugs etc..) to suit or am i able to leave it as it is and use either parts.

lowvpcal

Reaction score
Members Ride
because your using the original computer i assume the spark map wouldnt be any different. its the ecu that sends the signals to spark which cylinders. im not 100% sure but they should be exactly the same

QKVNV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5ltr
ok seem simple enough, so l've looked at the plug on my loom and the plug on my dizzy and they are different. so l'm thinking i have to change them. reason being is with the time frame i have i cannot sauce a change over plug. so if it is just a straight swap as you are saying, then changing the dizzy from my oringal engine to the new engine wouldn't be a problem. correct me if l'm wrong. also if i spray some wd-40 on the flywheel nuts, will that make them easier to remove. engine going in this weekend. will keep you guys updated on progress.

jimmyd17

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Adventra LS1
for the flywheel nuts, yeah you could spray wd40. i dont think i needed to. just shove a screw driver or something through a hole in the flywheel against part of the block casting to stop the engine turning over. they are supposed to be torque'd up to 88nm from factory.