Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine replacement/rebuild. Need help.

Discussion in 'VR - VS Holden Commodore (1993 - 1997)' started by NZsmoka, Feb 6, 2015.

1. NZsmoka

NZsmoka New Member

Members Ride:
    1996 VS Commodore Executive
    My 3.8 ecotec spun a bearing the other day on start up. And i am unsure if i want to rebuild this current engine or just buy a 2nd hand one. Or even to buy another type of engine all together.

Im wondering what the cheapest option is, as i do want much more power out of my engine. And if i was to do a rebuild, are the Buick 3.8's expensive to work (E.g ACL race bearings, titanium valves..)

And would it be better to buy an already supercharged engine over a a non-supercharged that i will supercharge myself.

2. VPRob

VPRob Active Member

Members Ride:
    VP executive sedan V6
    As a general rule simply buying a 2nd hand motor is going to be far cheaper in terms of keeping your car on the road. I bought a used VR motor for my VP for $125 privately and it is still running happily some years and kilometres later. But I know NOTHING about performance mods or supercharging so can give you no advice about that at all..........

3. sleepa

sleepa Shiny...

Members Ride:
    2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack
    I would assume a supercharged engine would be cheaper then supercharging a normal engine. Of course you still need the ecu, etc.
    Might be a good step up from the ecotec.

Or you could find a V8, just a little more effort.

Most expensive would probably be to rebuild your engine.

4. immortality

immortality No more smoky bacon :( Staff Member

Members Ride:
    HSV VS Senator, VX s2 Calais S/C
    Unfortunately here in NZ people seem to want a premium for a 2nd had L67 engine.

Might be best to just get another ecotec engine and then at least you're back on the road again.

5. ephect

ephect Donating Member

Members Ride:
    VS Acclaim V6
    Cheapest is to get a second hand donk and drop that in. No reason why U can't then do a little research into good performance mods/parts and rebuild ur original donk. It'll allow U to get back on the road quicker and U can go as sedate or as mental as U want with ur original and drop that in when ready.