Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ecotec Vs Alloytec SIDI

Discussion in 'V6 Development And Modification' started by TheDiddler, Mar 9, 2017.

Alloytec SIDI vs Ecotec?

1. Alloytec SIDI

57.1%
  2. Ecotec

42.9%
  1. rtmpgt

rtmpgt Member

Members Ride:
    2010 VE1.5 SV6 Ute
    Hence the second half of the comment. If you want an absolutely bulletproof engine to mod and aren't willing to go through the dramas of an Alloytec, go with the Ecotec. ;)

2. rtmpgt

rtmpgt Member

Members Ride:
    2010 VE1.5 SV6 Ute
    Well, way to wake a thread from the dead, lol. I guess the Ghost of GM past never dies.

I think it was emissions that killed the Ecotec. It was kinda on its way out, being based on a ye-olde design from the mid 1980s. I know, it sucks major ass, but if companies don't innovate, they get left behind.

At the same time, it's definitely a rushed idea. I mean, the engine's designed predominantly to be a transverse FWD engine, but considering their financial situation at the time, i think GM had to really cut down its engine lineup to ensure that even more models didn't face the chopping block when the GFC hit. Hence why they've really only got 3 engine lines, the HFV6, their Ecotec 4-pots, and the LS V8s. Sure, they still make 350 chevs for your winga-dinga guys, but they were also making all of Saab's engines, all of Opel's engines, and a whole bunch of other oddball engines (I mean, if you think the HFV6 is bad... anyone remember the Northstar? or the Iron Duke?)

I'd say it was them cobbling together what they could. Lots of shortcuts taken, but I think at least with the LLT we saw GM beginning to get it right. Beginning. Still not a faultless engine.