Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dead accelerator

Discussion in 'VZ Holden Commodore (2004 - 2006)' started by F3RG01, Feb 21, 2017.

1. F3RG01

F3RG01 New Member

Members Ride:
    vz holden storm
    hey guys!

just wondering has any one experienced a dead accelerator?
    sometimes when im driving my car accelerator just stops responding completing and its very irregular. the car is completely stock beside intake spacers and a throttle controller.
    it has done 240000kms its auto v6 2005 model storm Ute im unsure if its history, i have replaced the spark plugs coil packs and oil and oil filter and car battery and ran several different scan tools and it gave no errors. the mechanic cant diagnose the problem without having it happen to him and being a very irregular problem it doesn't do it when he looks at my car.

Cheers thomas

2. Tonner Matt

Tonner Matt Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
    It may be the accelerator pedal assembly.
    They are drive by wire and have been known to play up very intermittently like you say.

3. 07GTS

07GTS Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VEGTS BLOWN E85
    just to rule it out remove the throttle controller and drive around for a week or so see if it still plays up

4. F3RG01

F3RG01 New Member

Members Ride:
    vz holden storm
    I have just removed the throttle controller and also contacted red high and asked if it could be the cause to my problem is their any suggestions on how to diagnose if it's the pedal assembly?

5. greenacc

greenacc Searching for the billion

Members Ride:
    VE Berlina
    As 07GTS said the best way to test it now is drive it without the aftermarket throttle controller gizmo. If the issue doesn't come back you know what the problem was.

6. 07GTS

07GTS Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VEGTS BLOWN E85
    usually if the pedal has any issues with the pedal commanded v TB movement it will throw a code, if there are no codes it could take a bit of looking, if u can look at TPS % when its playing up see if the vehicle is seeing throttle movement or not when the pedal is pressed so if u press it 100% but the data is only showing 20% then id look at the pedal, usually if there is a pedal fault it will default to about 8% which is basicly idle but it should also show a code so its odd that yours isnt so it could be something alse

7. F3RG01

F3RG01 New Member

Members Ride:
    vz holden storm
    how would i be able to look at tps%? i have taken it to a mechanic and they cant seem to find the problem they told me unless it does it to them their just guessing what could be the cause. their no faults or errors at all which is what is confusing myself and the mechanics that have looked at it. when you say when the pedal has afault and it drops to about 8% which is about idle will it just remain their and not move again? because mine car drops straight to idle when i lose my accelerator and even if i turn the car off and back on nothing changes it will remain dead until it wants to work again, i have checked if its dirty or cheap fuel, plugs, coil packs, oil, oil filter, oil pressure sender, air leaks, or the plugs/leads that go to and from the TB have any damage, but everything seems fine.

thanks heaps for all the help guys much appreciated hopefully i find the problem soon!

8. 07GTS

07GTS Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VEGTS BLOWN E85
    the VE have "engineering mode" and im pretty sure yours has something like it also where u might be able to see tps% its like your mechanic is saying its just a guess till it plays up and u can test it then but its a bit odd that no codes are being displayed

9. Trayner

Trayner Fresh prince of Pakky

Members Ride:
    Vz ss 6.0L Thunder , Vz S One Tonner
    The throttle assembly/electronics can wear out over time , they have like a little contact that moves up and down , wears out the tracks

[​IMG]

10. F3RG01

F3RG01 New Member

Members Ride:
    vz holden storm
    i can rule out the throttle controller, so thats a positive i guess... is it possible to open up the throttle assembly and check the contacts on the electronics? or is their too many things that can go wrong? also i cant find anything on how to access the "engineering mode" how ever i did find this article about hidden codes im not sure if any of these might help me? http://queue.acm.org/blogposting.cfm?id=69306

11. 07GTS

07GTS Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VEGTS BLOWN E85
    if u could see the tps it would have been in there so maby u cant on the vz, if u can test the pins on the pedal im guessing there should just be a resistance back and forth which should be smooth during operation but i think it would be ok because if it was an issue u would get a code for it but may want to test to rule it out

12. greenacc

Members Ride:
    VE Berlina
    When the throttle goes dead have you tried pulling off the intake pipe to see if the throttle butterfly moves when you press the pedal up and down?
    Easiest thing to try next could be to get another complete throttle body and swap it over. Bit expensive unless you go to wreckers but it's half a chance.

13. F3RG01

F3RG01 New Member

Members Ride:
    vz holden storm
    what do i use to test resistance in the pedal?
    i cant pull the intake off when the pedal goes dead because when it happens it only last about 30secs to a minute before it works again, and its always happens when im in traffic or somewhere i cant just stop to check as it isnt safe to do so. is their anyway to check the TB to see if its faulty or do i have to just replace to find out?

14. greenacc

Members Ride:
    VE Berlina
    I haven't had any Trouble with mine so I haven't gone looking.
    You could take the pipe off at home and have your assistant slowly pump the pedal while you watch the butterfly.

15. Trayner

Trayner Fresh prince of Pakky

Members Ride:
    Vz ss 6.0L Thunder , Vz S One Tonner
    You can see the TPS using a tech2