Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dash light replacement

DUKE

Reaction score
I want to get the dash lights replaced as the fuel gauge is not lit and the taco ..well that comes on partly then the next time I look it's good. I know the globes are really cheap but I don't fancy pulling half the dash apart to try to put them in. Does any one have a rough idea how much some one would or should charge to do this. All the old cars were easy coz you just undid a few screws and popped the front off but now there are screws where some one with a crule sense of humor put them! Also do they make a blue globe? Thanks

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
What sort of car do you have?

I can have the dash facia off my VT in under 10 minutes.
7 screws. All readily accessible.
Un plug electrical connectors. (easy)
Then 2 screws that hold the cluster (easy).
Then unplug the cluster (easy).
Mind you, I've done it a fair few times, but it's really not that hard.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Dash nd cluster out is seriously a 10 minute job in a vt-vx.

Torborg

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
I want to get the dash lights replaced as the fuel gauge is not lit and the taco ..well that comes on partly then the next time I look it's good. I know the globes are really cheap but I don't fancy pulling half the dash apart to try to put them in. Does any one have a rough idea how much some one would or should charge to do this. All the old cars were easy coz you just undid a few screws and popped the front off but now there are screws where some one with a crule sense of humor put them! Also do they make a blue globe? Thanks
As Nut Kracker says, it's an easy job, but expensive if you buy the globes direct from Holden. I think I spent $70 or so replacing all of them a couple of years back. Don't pay someone to do it if you know how to use a screwdriver. Holden don't make blue globes, and I think its a little more complicated than changing over globes to get the blue interior look. I've considered using one of the sponsors here to do the job. He seems to have a good rep and I'm sure you could ask him for info.

ASR Audio & Electronics

s_ikari2015

Fun IS easier with an 8
Reaction score
Members Ride
'02 Monaro V2 CV8, '90 Toyota Sera
T5 neo wedge globe for the main dash, eBay is your friend.
If you want to change the dash colour you first have to sand away the green on the back of the instrument cluster facia. Takes a while.

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Its a very very easy job.

May need a pair of tweezers or a long nose/tipped pliers to make it easier to get to the bulbs, but its seriously easy to do to change the bulbs

Once you have unscrewed the fascia and gear selector, you will wonder why ya made a fuss and yeh once done a few times, can do it in under 5mins.