Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cleaning inside of motors

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon

jimmyd17

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Adventra LS1
I have a couple of questions about cleaning the engine seeing as I'm about to reassemble my 304 on the weekend.

1. What is the best method of cleaning engine parts when they're out of the engine (eg: crankshaft, pistons/conrods, etc)
2. How do you get all the carbon buildup off the pistons?

I'm thinking perhaps soaking all the engine parts in some diesel, kerosene or degreaser maybe?

GM001

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 304
I just finished a clean up i used CLR grease remover worked well on rockers, pushrods, for carbon build up i used a wooden scraper with some throttlebody cleaner

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
if your engine is in bits then nothing works better than hot soapy water. seriously. soapy water all over the bores etc, high pressure wash your gallerys and make sure it is BONE DRY before you do anything else to it.

its worth going out and finding a pack of white rags too to wipe it down. you use white so you can see if there is any grey matter left on your parts. if there is grey, then wash it again.

the carbon on pistons is a bitch. if your not watching your CR too closely use a wire wheel on a drill. otherwise just leave it. some people say that carbon build-up on pistons and cylinder heads can actually be good for your engines performance.