Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Carby Backfire and Valve timing - Need Help!

oshi16

Reaction score
Members Ride
85' VK 202 Carby
Hey Strgas,

Good points. And a good question; I think it happened due to the brakedown; I forgot to mention that another main factor...well THE main factor of the brakedown was that the heater hose sprung a leak, and slowly drained the coolant. The engine fried as I jumped on the freeway and as I got to about 100 BOOM! And all the symptoms of a blown head gasket (even though this was not the problem). a rapid drop in revs, eradicate revs, black smoke pouring out the exhaust and a crap load of coolant sprayed everywhere under the bonnet.

I got towed home by RAC (lifesavers!) and I tried starting the car (as it was cold) in order to get it about 10 meters; from the front yard - into the shed. And I'll be buggered it actually did start and run...just sounded a bit odd...and I only drove it for about 15 seconds and never touched it since. After much inspection (and through my recent lack of experience and knowledge) I decided it must be the head gasket (WRONG) and disassembled the motor.

I think the bridge may have been damaged a few months back (probably about 5 months or so) when I put in the electronic dizzy. I changed it over and started the motor to be confronted with a large pinging noise...like the valves were hitting the top of the rocker cover (which they were)...It turned out that I had an oil leak that turned serious when I replaced the dizzy (it was from the rocker cover gasket, that just decided to break down at the back during the previous couple of days I didn't drive it) (PS...it was on the grass when it leaked, so I didn't see the oil). And I topped the oil up to full (from damn near empty! and she ran like a dream). The Next day I replaced the rocker cover (lost a bit of oil over night which I caught under the car with a tub, and then replaced.) and found that there were a few small dents on the back roof of the rocker cover, and marks on the 4th and 5th valve heads (5 especially)....but being inexperienced I thought nothing of it (it was actually the first time I've ever taken a rocker cover off!)

Looking back, I have made many ignorant mistakes; and I'm trying to make a mends for them as best I can. But for now I want the car running sweet; and I'll controllable add upgrades one at a time (I.e I've got a carby rebuild kit for the weber siting on the shelf).

Thanks for all the input guys, I really appreciate it!

Brendan

oshi16

Reaction score
Members Ride
85' VK 202 Carby
Hey Guys!

Sorry about the late reply.

First: Thanks a hell of a lot to all of the posters! I couldn't have finished this project with out your advice! (probably would have gotten weak and went to a dreaded mechanic; I don't know any good ones!)

Second: It Lives! Turns out it was the cam timing; on TDC (compression stroke) the rotor pin (button) was 180 degrees the wrong way, trying to fire cyl 6 instead of 1. So I swapped em around; turned it over AND.....it tried but didn't go...Like hell I said! *Grabs can of 'Start ya bastard!'* Using that and fiddling with the dizzy timing (spinning to adv or retard) I got it running! And It sounds sweet! (beefy!) and runs like a dream... =)

Thanks again to everyone! I'm sure I'll be on here again sometime soon to help others with vk problems!

Brendan

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Hey Guys!

Sorry about the late reply.

First: Thanks a hell of a lot to all of the posters! I couldn't have finished this project with out your advice! (probably would have gotten weak and went to a dreaded mechanic; I don't know any good ones!)

Second: It Lives! Turns out it was the cam timing; on TDC (compression stroke) the rotor pin (button) was 180 degrees the wrong way, trying to fire cyl 6 instead of 1. So I swapped em around; turned it over AND.....it tried but didn't go...Like hell I said! *Grabs can of 'Start ya bastard!'* Using that and fiddling with the dizzy timing (spinning to adv or retard) I got it running! And It sounds sweet! (beefy!) and runs like a dream... =)

Thanks again to everyone! I'm sure I'll be on here again sometime soon to help others with vk problems!

Brendan
No, ignition timing. Glad you got it sorted though, well done.

oshi16

Reaction score
Members Ride
85' VK 202 Carby
Oops...yeah I meant Ignition Timing...lolz. And Yeah the 180 deg. out is so freaking easy to do....I hope I don't repeat it...But if I do, I'll know where to start!

Have a good Weekend Guys!