Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Black EST 202 pinging so is it a CAS vac leak or the EGR

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Weird thing with the EST is many say it is not adjustable. I am not sure that is true. The VK was pinging and i decided to rotate the rotor cap slightly and it made a good difference. Rotating the cap moves the spark plug contacts around relative to the position of the rotor button. It must affect the timing.
It's true. You can't adjust the mechanical ignition advance on them. Altering initial timing will have an impact on timing across the board and with the est, you can't alter it to bring it back into the desired range.

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
It's true. You can't adjust the mechanical ignition advance on them. Altering initial timing will have an impact on timing across the board and with the est, you can't alter it to bring it back into the desired range.
Yes that what i thought too but i rotated the cap a bit on my VK and the car is now a dart. The base timing must be adjustable to some extent by rotating the cap. The EST probably adjusts the advance etc

If number 1 piston is at TDC where is the rotor button pointing? It HAS to be at the contact to fire the number 1 spark plug wire. If its not it will not run right.

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
the vk manual explains where the rotor should be I assume if you put the est test wire to earth you could set it to 6 degrees with the timeing light would be the same place? pity the est isn't programmable

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
vc commodore
There should be an indentation on the cap lip of the dizzy, which shows where no 1 should be pointing

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
the vk manual explains where the rotor should be I assume if you put the est test wire to earth you could set it to 6 degrees with the timeing light would be the same place? pity the est isn't programmable

I do not understand what you mean by put the EST test wire to earth (lost me there) and do not follow how to set to 6 deg with the timing light.

The VK was running like **** and i mulled over it and decided to rotate the cap just to see what would happen and it runs beaut now. It took a little fiddling because i was skeptical that moving it does nothing.

If number 1 cylinder is at TDC it stands to reason the rotor button will be at some corresponding position. I figured if the cap is rotated so the contact is at the sweet spot for it, then by rights it should be good. If the contact is not quite where the rotor button is when it fires it would be out. All i can say is it seems to work and she runs real good.

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
There should be an indentation on the cap lip of the dizzy, which shows where no 1 should be pointing
Yeah but when she is spinning i don't know where that really is when its firing. All i can say is it was rattling, and chugging here and there and i was not happy. I loosened the bolt and rotated it a bit and now the car is a dart.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Yes that what i thought too but i rotated the cap a bit on my VK and the car is now a dart. The base timing must be adjustable to some extent by rotating the cap. The EST probably adjusts the advance etc

If number 1 piston is at TDC where is the rotor button pointing? It HAS to be at the contact to fire the number 1 spark plug wire. If its not it will not run right.
Yes but you're just changing where the rotor button sits in relation to the terminals on the dizzy cap. You don't adjust it. You calibrate it. Generally to 6 degrees btdc. But depends on exact model.

Edit: remembered sensor is on flywheel/flexplate

Last edited:

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
Yes but you're just changing where the crank angle sensor sits. You don't adjust it. You calibrate it. Generally to 6 degrees btdc. But depends on exact model.
I am not sure what do you mean where the crank angle sits. It was rattling the other day on 98. I just rotated the cap a bit and kinda fluked something. It runs a heap better now.

Last edited:

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
Its not adjustable in anyway, moving the Dizzy does not do anything. All it does is point the rotor button roughly at a plug lead and the ECM fires the coil.

About the only thing you could do is move the CAS so the ECM thinks the crank angle is a few more degrees closer to TDC then it is.
My VK had the black 202 with varajet carb. Pinged its heart out, it did.
Attempting to adjust the distributor does jack. It is set by the ECU. I connected a timing light on to it and thought something wasn't right when I couldn't adjust it.
Rotating the cap to a new position should theoretically not make a difference. But it did. Weird.