Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bad Fuel Economy

Discussion in 'VT - VX Holden Commodore (1997 - 2002)' started by DeathSammich, Nov 29, 2017.

1. DeathSammich

DeathSammich Member

Members Ride:
    VT Berlina S1
    I have a V6 VT commodore and it seems to be using 14L per 100km. I've checked this myself by totaling how much I drove by how much I've put in and by checking the digital readout. I've changed the O2 sensors, spark plugs, leads, coil packs, fuel pump and have a cat back exhaust (probably does nothing) a mace CAI (again probably done nothing) and have also tried 95 and 98 octane with no change. The car seems to drive fine and idle fine. Other threads ive read people manage to pull decent economy (as low as 8L long distance and a max of 12.5 mixed) but I can't seem to get these figures. I do a bit of mixed driving but I never drive in the stop start city. Thanks.

I have also checked for fault codes and I got no faults

2. VT&VX

VT&VX Active Member

Members Ride:
    VX Acclaim
    That is what we get

3. mpower

mpower Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
    you're using as much fuel as my V8's - is that normal!?

4. DeathSammich

DeathSammich Member

Members Ride:
    VT Berlina S1
    Yeah see my dad's 6 litre uses the same as me that's why I thought it was wrong.

5. ephect

ephect Donating Member

Members Ride:
    VS Acclaim V6
    Only thing not listed is MAF sensor. Try a clean or replace.

another thought is a dirty air filter

hows the trans, does it shift ok, no slippage?

6. DeathSammich

DeathSammich Member

Members Ride:
    VT Berlina S1
    I'm using the same as my dad's 6 litre V
    Oh yeah forgot to mention. It has a brand new pod filter because of the mace CAI and I have cleaned the MAF sensor. Trans is fine

7. uniacidz

uniacidz Harden the Frak Up

Members Ride:
    VE Berlina
    Long shot but some oils didnt like my old Falcon and had not great fuel economy and ended up using a Mitsubishi Mineral Oil 15w40

Seemed to work, got better economy

Maybe i drove it better, but did work

My current car is temperamental and only Penrite, only taken years or so to work that out

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  8. FNC

FNC New Member

Members Ride:
    WH Statesman 3.8 + VX Commodore 3.8
    Hi
    I drive gentle and get about10.5ltrs/100 around suburbia and about 7.8ltrs/100 on hwy (I only use 91)
    I have a VX & WH (both 3.8) which I do most of the work on myself.
    It sound like you have covered a considerable amount of possibles but I notice (especially this time of year with a lot of flowers out) that the air cleaner and maff need cleaning a lot more regular (maybe the pollins from flowers) If I dont clean more regular I start using more fuel. I also throw in the odd bottle of injector cleaner. The only other things I can think of would be injectors or a possible small vacuum leak. Cheers

9. MYVESSV8

MYVESSV8 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE 6LT M6
    how heavy is your foot, tyre pressures, what load do you carry all the time, oil viscosity,

10. DeathSammich

DeathSammich Member

Members Ride:
    VT Berlina S1
    Light foot as I try to get good economy. I check the tyre pressure every fortnight to make sure it's good, weight is just me a
    And the car I even removed the spare wheel and Jack, and the oil is penrite 20w 60

11. greenacc

greenacc Searching for the billion

Members Ride:
    VE Berlina
    What tyre pressure are you running? The placard pressure is the bare minimum if you want good economy.

12. rossybob

rossybob New Member

Members Ride:
    03 vy berlina

13. rossybob

rossybob New Member

Members Ride:
    03 vy berlina
    Try nulon 5w30 your oil seems to heavy to me

14. Sean880

Sean880 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
    14 lit per 100 in mixed running on an old 3.8 engine in a big car with lots of kms is not all that bad. That's 20 miles per imp. gallon.

1. Take it on a highway 150 km run without lead footing it and check the consumption. If you can get between 8 and 9 Lit per 100 km that's not an indication that the engine is gulping too much fuel.

2. The engine oil you are using is wrong. If you want to make the engine work harder,the oil pump to work harder and a sub optimum lubrication rate keep using that incorrect heavy viscosity oil. You can very safely use Castrol Edge 5w-30 fully synthetic in that engine.

3. Check for dragging brakes. Place the car on a very slight incline and let it roll. If the brakes are free it should roll immediately.

4. Engine Compression. It's an old engine and may well be significantly down on compression with normal wear. If so the engine will run less efficiently and you will use more fuel. Have a compression test done and see where it stands.

5. Exhaust restrictions - cat converter or muffler breaking down internally.
    You can check for exhaust restrictions by connecting a vacuum gauge to the intake manifold. At idle, the engine should show a high and steady vacuum reading . If the reading is low or it gradually drops, this is indicative of an exhaust restriction.

6. Faulty Coolant Sensor
    If the sensor is defective and reads lower than normal, or always reads cold, the engine computer will keep operating in open loop - so the fuel mixture remains rich. A richer fuel mixture is required while a cold engine is warming up. If the mixture remains rich once the engine is warm you will of course get poor fuel economy.

7. Injectors
    You are apparently not getting any engine misfires on any cylinder or a check engine light so I would not suspect an injector issue.

Does the increase in fuel consumption you experienced coincide with any modifications you have made that affect engine operation?

15. losh1971

losh1971 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    The only real way to gauge economy is to fill the tank until it reaches the top of the filler neck. Drive it 200km and then refill to the same point and check the litres. Do that 3 or 4 times then check your economy. Trip meters often give a false reading. If your not getting better economy with 95 and 98 then I'd say your method of testing is out. Every car I have run on premium fuel gets better economy after 2-3 tanks of continual use. Also comes down to the brand of fuel. I have always got the best economy by using Caltex 95 and 98.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017