Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ask the IT Network Engineer

GothicKidd

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S2 Exec
Thanks mate; Figured it out! it was to do with the IP, had a dynamic IP.. sorted it out now. cheers

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
Jaymz,

Since our last talk, the computer start-ups are better, not starting properly maybe once or twice and then might freeze once and be fine (sounds pretty bad but better than 10-15 times :p) If i just 'restart' the pc it boots up first go almost every time. Now, when i leave the pc running and it goes into 'stand-by' mode when i get it back running it will work for maybe 2 minutes (long enough to get into something) than it will freeze.

Im hoping this is all one issue! Now, While i have your attention. What would you recommend (paid for or free download) for an anti-virus (scanner, firewall, etc) Just so when we eventually get to the bottom of this i dont get something coming back!

Thanks in advance!

Also, All the services are still running fine and nothing is really an issue besides the freezing and start-ups. So take your time getting back to me :)
Another good one that's good is panda cloud antivirus, it's free also! Doesn't require updates as it's a cloud based, so good if you have always on internet.

If the computer is freezing on bootup in windows then id start with the basics, does it freeze up anywhere else if it does get going? You can run through all the basics like doing a memtest86, then a intelburntest to check cpu and ram and see if your computer can handle the load/heat or see if a component is faulty. Then run a virus scan and malware scanner, something like malwarebytes.

Super_Low 91

┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐
Reaction score
Members Ride
Not a Commodore
Wondering if i could get some advice/opinions on a good home server setup. It will be used for media back up, system back ups, central storage and media streaming. It will need to have roughly 6TB for now but would like to have the option to expand it later on.
Now for the big restraint my budget, I would like to keep it under $1000 but i can go over by a little bit if its necessary.

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Wondering if i could get some advice/opinions on a good home server setup. It will be used for media back up, system back ups, central storage and media streaming. It will need to have roughly 6TB for now but would like to have the option to expand it later on.
Now for the big restraint my budget, I would like to keep it under $1000 but i can go over by a little bit if its necessary.
OK, now as you describe it, you are basically after a remote storage system which you will access with all the other computers on your local network? Also known as Network Attached Storage, or NAS.. as opposed to an actual server which needs a complete operating system and can perform other functions in addition to the ones you mention?

If you want to just plug and play, then you can get a 6GB NAS for between 600-800 bucks, and you can simply plug it into your router, choose a few options and you are good to go.
Various brands available, I personally prefer WD and Hitachi.

If you want this to be an actual computer as well, with a screen etc.. I'd give this some serious consideration though. 800 bucks is a lot to pay for 6GB of storage when you can build a complete PC with that much storage for nearly the same cash.

Pick up an i3 board, 8GB RAM and CPU for around $350. You could get a basic upgrade kit for about $250, but you will miss out on options like SATA3, USB3 and RAID, which are things you will want... but you dont need a top line board either.

The i3 graphics will run HD media via onboard HDMI no problem, no need for extra graphics, so all you need to do to make this work as a media hub are a cheap case and mid range power supply and a few hard drives. If you want it wireless, you'll need a wireless adaptor too. If you need a keyboard or other peripherals obviously you need to factor them in, and the same with a monitor.

Along these lines, I would suggest something like a Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H motherboard for about $150, which has RAID support, 2 SATA3 ports, 4 SATA2 ports, 3 USB3 ports and up to 8 USB2.

An i3 2120 is about $140. 8GB RAM should set you back about $50. A couple of 3TB SATA3 drives at about $170 each. Another 1TB SATA3 drive can be your Windows drive, at less than $100. I'd run Windows on one of the SATA3 ports and keep the big drives on the SATA2 in RAID, unless you want to spend more on a board with more SATA3 ports. Add a wireless card for $30, and OEM Win7 Pro64 for $130, and you are done.

Use your big screen TV as the monitor, buy a cheap wireless mouse/keyboard and a cheap case and power supply, and you will have a whole new computer capable of doing all you need it to - with 6TB storage (+ the 1TB Windows drive) and room for ample more, for about a grand. If you already have Windows, even less.

Just a suggestion. :)

Super_Low 91

┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐
Reaction score
Members Ride
Not a Commodore
Thanks for the awesome reply, I looked at a NAS but for the money you spend an the limitation on expandability i didn't really think they would suit my needs, so i through together a system following what you said for the rough specs an this is what i come up with.

Case - BitFenix Shinobi Black $69 (Chosen for the fact that it can have up to 8 drives)
Mobo - Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H $129 (Chosen for the on board raid capability)
CPU - I3 3220 $123
Memory - Corsair 8gig $50
PSU - OCZ 600w modular $79
Boot - Intel 330 SSD $69
Storage - Seagate 2TB x2 $102 (Chose these because i already have 2 for my storage now so all the drives will match)

This system turned out cheaper then i was expecting, $723 + $86 Postage

Attachments

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Sounds good. Since its cheaper than you expected, and you did say you would consider slightly over the grand mark, can I make a wild suggestion?

Just in terms of future proofing, this board has 6 SATA3 slots, 2 SATA2 slots, 4way SLi, onboard wifi, onboard bluetooth, and an onboard 32GB SSD boost drive.

ASUS P8Z77-V PREMIUM

At about $450- $500, it will add $300-$350 to your build, but just think of the expansion possibilities...

If you want to pick a halfway point, you could choose one of these instead for about $250-$300.. you would only get 4 SATA 3 slots, but still most of the other stuff. That means not much more than $100 on your current choice of board, and you get wifi, bluetooth, 2 extra SATA3 slots and an onboard 32GB SSD thrown in.

ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE

Both boards support plenty of RAID options, and have all the bells and whistles. I just worry that 2 SATA3 ports just aren't enough for your expansion plans.. you will hate having to choose which drives get to use the fast lane..

Last edited:

Mk2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais S2
Jaymz, if this question has been answered already I apologise, but what would be your best advice for someone wanting to get in to the industry and eventually end up in a position such as yourself? Where would one start? Are there any particular traineeships or certificates (preferably TAFE due to funds) you'd suggest to get an edge over the competition? Cheers.

Super_Low 91

┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐
Reaction score
Members Ride
Not a Commodore
I like the look of the premium board but i don't want it to have more bells an whistles then my main rig lol. However it is perfect for what i need, built in wifi will be handy along with the extra sata slots..

Hmm decisions....

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Hi Guys short story,
My wifi software was useless.
What software should I download?
Cheers Peter.

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Hi Guys short story,
My wifi software was useless.
What software should I download?
Cheers Peter.
I just let Windows do it. All I install is the actual device drivers, have never used any of the proprietary software.