Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ABS LIGHTS AND NO NEEDLES OPERATING

Discussion in 'Electrical Wiring / Questions' started by youngtech96, Dec 23, 2019.

Should I get a new alternator or battery

1. Battery

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Alternator

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Battery & Alternator

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. youngtech96

youngtech96 New Member

Members Ride:
    VY Storm Ute
    Hey guys,
    Got a 2004 VY Storm Ute V6
    Bit of an issue. On the highway the other day and the 'Check Alternator' warning appeared along with the loss of temp, fuel, speed, and rev needle, aftermarket (with sub) media unit turned off also but still had power to cruise control, A/C, and headlights. I've tested the alternator, checked the live back to the battery and it shows no resistance in the wire, tested the battery with the car running, measures 14.2v, tested the battery with the car off and it measures 12.8v. I swapped it out with a free second hand alternator off a mate, the mate I got it off replaced it with a new alternator not knowing if the alternator he gave me was fried or if it was the regulator, I tried it out and threw it on my car, same issue, got another second hand alternator and found the regulator brushes were too short in the second 2nd hand alternator, so I swapped the regulator from the first alternator to the second, after 30 minutes of highway driving same issue happened, lost needles but no ABS warning light, should I just cough up some coin to get a new alternator?

2. Trevor loves holden.

Trevor loves holden. Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    vs commodore
    Put yours back in 14.2v is fine, unplug your ABS plug, common fault for xmas lights. If all goes back to normal replace your abs module using the last 3 numbers.

3. krusing

krusing Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
    9 times out of 10 you don't need to replace the alternator, just the regulator,
    [unless the slip rings are worn out, and the diodes and windings are damaged/burnt out]
    I had one [regulator] on the shelf in the garage and replaced mine recently,
    I also decided to pull it apart, and replaced the Front and Rear bearing,
    [Only because it was a bit noisy with the stethoscope when idling]
    After I removed the belt and old regulator, and you could hear the front bearing was a bit noisy when you spun it by hand,
    So I did both bearings and regulator.
    Front Bearing # is a 6303 2RS
    Rear Bearing # is a 6201 2RS
    Regulator to suit a RE72 Alternator - Bosch # 9 191 067 059
    https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=re72+regulator&FORM=HDRSC2

I have since purchased a spare one, and placed it back on the shelf in my stock of spares for my VY.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2019
    Fu Manchu likes this.
  4. youngtech96

youngtech96 New Member

Members Ride:
    VY Storm Ute
    I've pulled back the tape around the wiring for the wire that goes from the back of the alternator to the positive battery post and I found this, doesn't it need to be fused? When I connect everything up and run the car the regulator heats up really quickly and gets impossible to touch by hand because it is that hot. I'm yet to test the ABS module, I haven't thought of that because everything else has led me down another path. Something is draining my battery because it's now dead aswell.

Attached Files:

5. immortality

immortality Home of the smoky breakfast Bacon! Staff Member

Members Ride:
    HSV VS Senator, VX s2 Calais S/C
    Alternator is designed/rated to put out 14.4 volts. 14.2 volts at the battery is acceptable and 12.8 volts at the battery is also spot on with the engine off.

Measure the true alternator output voltage by measuring between the alternator body and the positive output post on the back of the alternator.

There is a fusible link in the battery sensing wire.

I would suggest something is drawing access current if the same thing happened with 2 different alternators.

6. Trevor loves holden.

Trevor loves holden. Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    vs commodore
    Regulator rooted. Also use a multimeter test the volts at the end of the wire should read the same as battery.
    Make sure your battery terminals are clean and tight and your engine earth lead is good bad contacts causes heat. White wire is sensor brown is BCM.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
  7. youngtech96

youngtech96 New Member

Members Ride:
    VY Storm Ute
    Have replaced regulator, all seems fine, just need a new battery now to resolve the fucked battery. No ABS light on

Trevor loves holden. likes this.