Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

96 VS Senator #690

Discussion in 'VR - VS' started by spud_22, Mar 22, 2017.

1. spud_22

spud_22 Member

Members Ride:
    VFII SS-V Wagon, VS UTE, 96 VS Senator
    So she passed the RWC today with flying colours, bulk fist pumping all day long. Pick it up tomorrow and off to vicroads to get rego and transferred to my name. Have the day off work so might go get some powder coating quotes for the wheels and possibly engine covers.

VS 5.0 and afstruct like this.
  2. spud_22

spud_22 Member

Members Ride:
    Finally its in my name with my plates on. Been three years without a decent car for my plates, feels good having them out of storage.
    [​IMG]

ephect, afstruct and VS 5.0 like this.
  3. spud_22

spud_22 Member

Members Ride:
    New goodies are starting to arrive.
    [​IMG]

4. VS 5.0

VS 5.0 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV Z Series M6
    What's in the box ?????

5. spud_22

spud_22 Member

Members Ride:
    Nothing special. Just a new radiator, have had some cooling issues which I suspect to be a blocked radiator and for how cheap radiators are I thought may as well get a new one.

[​IMG]

More things to come tomorrow if express post is nice to me, otherwise a long wait till Tuesday.

VS 5.0 likes this.
  6. spud_22

spud_22 Member

Members Ride:
    So today was a good day. Good old aust post came through with the goods.

70mm TB
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

New rubber for when my rims get fixed and painted. Bridgestone Potenza RE003

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. spud_22

spud_22 Member

Members Ride:
    Apart from the TB I don't plan on making anymore mods, it was way to cheap to pass up. lol Maybe a tune as well I guess.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  8. afstruct

afstruct Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
    Nice, I'd be interested to know what you think of the bridgestone potenza's when you get them on because I am a fan of them , got talked into fitting a couple of pirelli dragons on maloo, which are better than what was on it but I don't think they're as good as those. They were about 60 bucks a tyre less though.
    A full exhaust with the throttlebody would make a fair difference,not cheap though. If you could pick up decent second hand paceys and get a twin cat into twin 2.5 or 3 single. Had maloo dynoed stock, got what I thought was a low power but torque was right on the money and then dynoed ( gust power runs) after throttlebody and exhaust and made 38 rwkws and a good increase in torque

9. spud_22

spud_22 Member

Members Ride:
    Iv never had the pleasure of being able to afford decent tyres so these will feel good no matter what. lol
    Its had some exhaust work done, I need to find out if it has factory headers or not and about the cat. Has some no name 3" single with a J pipe already. It doesn't really drone and sounds a little lumpy idling along. The lumpiness is leading me to think it has some kind of mild cam in it. Never had a 5L so I'm not sure on how its supposed to sound.

10. afstruct

Members Ride:
    Yeah was running bridgestone potenza's on my standard 16 mags , was a bit surprised and disappointed that I was talked into/ agreed to get the pirellis . I recon you'll have to be doing something extremely intentional to over power them with a stock/ mild 5l. The grip and handling I think is great.
    Factory hsv headers aren't much longer than standard holden ones. Triys and 4into1s will be a lot longer and go into 1 right at the bottom of the engine. My exhaust was not cheap and was told that you can not avoid some drone going twin high flow cats but it will support anything up to a medium strength 355, which one hopefully one day might happen. I know when I drive drive my monaro which at this point only has a cat back exhaust I go this is nice and quite but then I get back in maloo and I go i missed this it sounds bloody unreal .
    Yeah to me mine only sounds like it has a cam when it's cold but a friend who's right into his hot rods and street machines says he can tell it's cammed. He said it sounds more old school which is what I wanted.
    Google this I've seen on Facebook a couple of times Dick Johnson driving brockys A9X torana around Bathurst , holy f**k that car sounds so f**kin fantastic

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  11. spud_22

spud_22 Member

Members Ride:
    Been busy today, considering how hungover I am. Haha fitted the radiator with a few minor modifications to get it to sit right. Up to modifying the shroud and making brackets that will fit to the top of the radiator so the CAI and shroud can screw to them. TB fitted, the The plate that the accelerator cable attaches to must have been wrong. I couldn't get the cruse control to attach properly, it was hold the butterfly open a tad. So swamped my old plate with the new one and all good.

Tomorrow I need to get some argon gas for the welder to finish the shroud brackets and get some radiator conditioner or whatever it's called.

12. afstruct

Members Ride:
    Sorry, I should have said you'd probably have to change plate over, so did I .

13. spud_22

spud_22 Member

Members Ride:
    I happy using the old plate, makes it look stock. The shiny gold was a bit much on the new plate.

14. spud_22

spud_22 Member

Members Ride:
    All done today, running a flush thought the cooling system at the moment. Went for a bit of a drive and the temp gauge never even got close to 1/4. Since iv had the car its never sat below a 1/4 and some time a lot higher. Happy days. Im getting error 35 now witch I think I know why and will have a crack at fixing it when the engine has cooled down.

15. spud_22

spud_22 Member

Members Ride:
    So there is a bit of play with the TPS with the screws lose, I have ready somewhere that somebody else had a high idle and slightly moved the TPS while lose and it fixed their problem. I tried moving mine from one extreme to the other with no luck. Best I could get was an idea around 1200rmp. Ordering a new TPS tonight and hope this works. Im pretty sure iv put it all back together right.

Possibly the IAC so ording a new one as well.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  16. spud_22

spud_22 Member

Members Ride:
    Still waiting on a new IAC valve, fingers crossed it come by friday.
    Bit ticked of for not noticing the nut that holds the cruise control cabe to the accelerator bracket was hitting the stopper on the TB. Not very fun when your accelerator gets stuck 3/4 the way down and you can't get it back up. Looks like ill be taking the angle grinder to it this weekend. I must have gotten a TB that wasn't cruise control comparable, had a few problems with it now.
    [​IMG]
    The nut get wedged against the stopper and hold the TB open.
    [​IMG]

17. immortality

immortality Can't live without smoky bacon! Staff Member

Members Ride:
    HSV VS Senator, VX s2 Calais S/C
    I think that must have been a V6 TB originally. I had the same problem when I used put a 70mm TB on my 304 that had originally been on a V6 engine. I too cut the sucker down to suit :)

18. spud_22

spud_22 Member

Members Ride:
    Yeah I was also beginning to think it's a V6 one. Oh well after cutting that stopper down I don't think it will give me anymore trouble.

19. spud_22

spud_22 Member

Members Ride:
    Still having problems with a high idle, error 36 showing (vacuum leak) I can't seem to find where it is though. Surly it has to do with the TB as thats the only thing iv touched. Starting to drive me a little crazy, iv been spraying WD40 around all the vacuum lines and can't get any response from the engine.

Heres a reason why you shouldn't slam your doors. Drives side latch, it wasn't lining up properly with the striker and previous owners have been slamming the door to get it to close.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. harrop.senator

harrop.senator Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    vr senator 355, vu 5 speed l67
    Sprayed it around the intake manifold? May be a lim leak.