Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2015 GTS camber settings for trackday

Discussion in 'VF Holden Commodore (2013 - 2017)' started by Andys GTS, Jul 22, 2017.

1. Andys GTS

Andys GTS Member

Members Ride:
    GenF GTS LSA
    Hi guys I'm a new member here at JustCommodores so excuse me if I ask questions that have already been posted and discussed previously. I have a 2015 6.2ltr GTS LSA which I am using on track days at my local track (Baskerville). Its a 2.1km track with some tight corners through sector 1 which are causing excessive wear to the outside of my front right tyre, Baskerville has only 3 right hand corners and 7 left handers. My GTS has a factory setup at the moment but i want to make some 'not too technical' changes to reduce this wear and hopefully produce better lap times. l do drive my car on the steet (touring) from time to time but usually drive my ute as my daily drive. I understand the concept of the way camber can reduce outside tyre wear and create better cornering grip but I'm a novice at making these adjustments. So I'm looking for advice on the best way to make the required adjustments to my GTS, the difficulty of making these adjustments myself, and if I can use the standard factory components to do so or do I have to purchase and install aftermarket components to get the best settings for track days. As you can imagine I'm a bit nervous about screwing around with the setup of such an awesome car without some good advice first as i could potentially make it handle like a old shitbox very quickly but I can't continue to eat front right tyres with the setup I have now lol. I realise most of you guys are very experienced as this stuff and are having a good laugh at my lack of knowledge but I'm keen to learn so anyone got any answers for me please? Thanks Andy

HemiMagic, 426Cuda and Eterno like this.
  2. Eterno

Eterno Active Member

Members Ride:
    SS 2015 Wagon Vf V8
    Welcome Andy... I can't help you with your question but are sure someone on here can help you, great to see that you are getting your beast out for track days!

3. Darcon666

Darcon666 Evil is always around you

Members Ride:
    The Wife
    Ahhhh... Track days & camber, you can never have enough.

Firstly, how serious are you about track days?
    Secondly, how much money are you happy to funnel into it?

Look, the simplest and cheapest(apart from don't do track days...) is buy another set of "Track" rims & tyres... cause your normal wheels/tyres cannot handle the stresses of a track and no matter how much camber you throw on the car... while they are great for the road, just don't cut it on the track.

My 2c...

HemiMagic and SnowDoggyDogg like this.
  4. Andys GTS

Andys GTS Member

Members Ride:
    GenF GTS LSA
    Hey Darcon666,
    I'm fairly new at track days but probably attend once every couple of months which is about as often as they are held at Baskerville.
    I am not able to throw money at it as I'd like but happy to spend a bit on well targeted improvements.
    I have been to my local supplier and purchased some track wheels and tyres (not top of the range but reasonable, just under 3k) but not keen to start using them till I get the best setup. I have till August 12 before next track day.

HemiMagic likes this.
  5. crew_man

crew_man Active Member

Members Ride:
    VFII SV6 Reserve Edition Sportwagon
    Andys GTS likes this.
  6. harrop.senator

harrop.senator Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    vr senator 355, vu 5 speed l67
    I always start at 2.5 degrees negative with .5mm toe in per degree of camber to counteract and flatten the wear pattern. Maybe try 2.5 neg and 1mm or .8 in to counteract your toe wear.

Andys GTS likes this.
  7. harrop.senator

Members Ride:
    Also unsure how big drift is around tou but iver here 265 35 18 is new d1 control tyre. Heaps of people importing semis with 300 treadwear aa traction and prices start as low as 85ea for power sports and brand names about 150 ea .

Andys GTS likes this.
  8. vc commodore

vc commodore Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    vc commodore
    Camber settings, I'd start around 2 degrees negative with 0 toe.....0 toe is the settings I generally give a street/come track car...

And yes, the factory components will give you these settings, without expensive components added to the car

Andys GTS likes this.
  9. Andys GTS

Andys GTS Member

Members Ride:
    GenF GTS LSA
  10. Andys GTS

Andys GTS Member

Members Ride:
    GenF GTS LSA
    Thanks for the advice harrop.senator. It's in line with the general opinions I've been getting so far. Just a few differing opinions on toe-in settings, some say tow-in is required, others say its not needed. I understand you feel toe-in is needed to counteract the toe wear ? Excuse my ignorance mate but does the toe-in mean the inner tyre wear will be reduced on straighter sections of the track or am I misunderstanding the concept.

11. harrop.senator

Members Ride:
    With the toe in it spreads the load more to the outside of the tyre causing a slight scrub effect and is merely to try and get more duration out of your tyres i dont find it changes turn in or dive much .

12. Andys GTS

Andys GTS Member

Members Ride:
    GenF GTS LSA
    Thanks mate great advice, just what I'm after. Cheers

13. Andys GTS

Andys GTS Member

Members Ride:
    GenF GTS LSA
    By the way I'm running Kumhos (KU39 255 35 20 97Y) on the front and (KU39 275 35 20 102Y) on the rear.

14. HemiMagic

HemiMagic Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF SSV REDLINE, CL Charger, VK Charger, Motorsport
    You could also buy a heat sensing gun. Run it over the tread immediately upon coming back into the pits. It will show show where the hot spots are and you can adjust settings accordingly.

15. SuperHoon

SuperHoon New Member

Members Ride:
    VFII Redline Ute
    wonder how the OP got on with his settings, i have a track day in 2 weeks and starting to think more about alignment and such things.