Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

$1000 to spend on my VE SSV exhaust - what to buy?

Discussion in 'VE Holden Commodore (2006 - 2013)' started by tgilbert, Feb 10, 2015.

1. tgilbert

tgilbert New Member

Members Ride:
    MY12 SSV sedan
    I'm sure exhaust systems for SS Commodores have been discussed endlessly here and I've read a lot of posts about different exhaust mods to make the MY12 SSV sound like a real V8, but if I only have $1000 to spend and want to get a good note with minimum drone (sedan) what's the best way to spend $1000?

Ideally I guess I'd like to add headers and a good cat system but I don't think I can do all that for $1000. Also have to allow some money to retune it I expect?

Despite using terms like these, I don't really speak exhaust systems so suggestions in simple language would be good for me.

Should add that mine's a manual, not an AFM.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
  2. Sphector89

Sphector89 New Member

Members Ride:
    Series 2 Vx Berlina
    Won't get much for $1k sorry mate, headers alone will be $600+ for quality ones, a mild steel cat back will be $700ish, stainless $1k+ and cats around $300-$500 range and that doesn't include fitment. You might be able to find a second hand system but I don't know how much they will be. No point re tuning it after an exhaust, tune it when you get an OTR CAI or a Cam

3. torana355

torana355 Member

Members Ride:
    VE SERIES 2 MY11 SSV A6 in IVY GREEN
    Unless you are going to go X-Force or second hand there isn't much you can do for $1000. I cant recommend X-Force, Mine was fine at first but as it has carboned up it has started to drone badly and i get a vibration/rattle once the exhaust heats up. I would save up and buy something decent like a KPM.

4. SnowDoggyDogg

SnowDoggyDogg 2ltr? = Only milk & juice

Members Ride:
    Gen F GTS
    Replace the mid muffler with straight through pipes for $100. Save the $900 for a real system down the track.

5. tgilbert

tgilbert New Member

Members Ride:
    MY12 SSV sedan
    Thought as much. There are systems around for under $1000 but not much known about them (e.g. Mars). I must say I had given some thought to removing the mid mufflers but I thought I'd need to fit an x-pipe or similar to reduce drone. How does it work with straight through pipes? Surely the cheapest option.

The other thought I had was just spending the money on headers or extractors and leaving the system as is for now (with mods of course to mate them up). Anyone done that?

This is my first V8 since the mid-80s. In those days I always did my own exhaust mods and was able to get some good results. These new beasts are a bit more complicated.

One thing in my favour ... my wife is a bigger hoon than me and wants the nice note from the SSV as much as I do. She drives it more than me anyway.

6. mpower

mpower Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
    After a wave of recommendations in a previous thread I went to Rob Bliss and got one of their custom Magnaflow systems on my VXII Clubby, only a little over your budget @ $1400ish. That was high flow 100Cel cats and all the rest 2.5" minus extractors fitted. Sounds absolutely mint, might go back for extractors at a later date but the HSV ones seem to do the job well enough.

I fully recommend just talking to them they are awesome guys and well, they know exhausts.

Rob Bliss Exhausts

7. PIR4TE

PIR4TE Banned

Members Ride:
    Black Pearl
    +1 as above, Rob Bliss did all the technical work on my custom exhaust and totally recommend the shop. He's been into hot rods and racing since the time I got my P's, got some outstanding stuff from there over the years. Explain your current budget and he can suggest an ideal plan for a full system down the track.

8. XUV

XUV Member

Members Ride:
    HSV XUV
    Do your headers (headers are where the power is ;) ) and put freer flowing centre and rear mufflers on, then tune.

Or just replace the backs pipes with these bolt on hotdogs or straights if you want rumble

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. DAZVFV8

DAZVFV8 New Member

Members Ride:
    VF SSV
    I went through the same and ended up with the Ultrex system...I had $1000 to spend and of what Ive read the Ultrex system is very good for the money but as you may know in the 3" Ultrex thread thats going at the momment I have had an issue with my new system but its getting replaced so I will let you know how the new one go's. My other options were a Manta 2.5" with centre muffler for $1200 or I was keen on the Magnaflow twin 2.5" for $1500 (part number #15290) their new system...but at $950 for the 3" Ultrex in stainless I thought its worth a shot....time will tell If it pays off :)

10. tgilbert

tgilbert New Member

Members Ride:
    MY12 SSV sedan
    I've spoken harshly to she who hoons and explained the many and varied benefits of replacing the whole system end to end. I think she agrees now we need to spend up to $2500. The Magnaflow system sounds good.

Should I just be using their headers? Or going all the way to extractors? We always went with extractors in "the day" but not so sure they make that much difference over good headers in modern V8s.

Guess they do both 2.5" and 3" systems? What's the benefit of 3 over 2.5? I'd guess the note is deeper and a bit louder, but are there significant performance benefits as well?

Assuming I do have $2500 to spend now, what's going to give me the best outcomes for my SS-V sedan?

11. ducker85

ducker85 Active Member

Members Ride:
    09 VE clubbie R8
    3" sounds great IMO however its more likely to drone, it's generally got no performance benefits unless you have a cam, forced induction or a LS3 motor. For a daily or street car a 2 1/2" is preferred.

When aftermarket headers/extractors are used you get a better a deeper note anyway from a 2 1/2" system

12. PIR4TE

PIR4TE Banned

Members Ride:
    Black Pearl
    $1000 set of Wildcat headers with hi-flow cats. Forget Magnaflow headers.
    $750 set of Xforce 2.5" catback. 3" is retrograde, ridiculous, not louder.
    $750 custom dyno tune and you'll have the bite to match the bark.

It is not the fanciest but has ideal headers and HFC at good price, catback (loud, med or low model option) has built-in x-pipe, and free flowing (loud) rear silencers. Being manual drone is no issue so yeah, tune it up and it'll sound pretty much like this:

[video=youtube_share;7hhU4TmcOo8]http://youtu.be/7hhU4TmcOo8[/video]

13. tgilbert

tgilbert New Member

Members Ride:
    MY12 SSV sedan
    Anyone familiar with the Hurricane system? Extractors, cats, twin 2.5" system? Holden Commodore VE V8 6 0LT Hurricane Extractors Cats Twin 2 5" Exhaust | eBay

Not sure I want to go this way because the cost seems quite high just for a system and have to still get someone to fit it (i don't crawl around under cars any more). But it's an option. Mild steel system certainly has downsides compared to stainless.

14. tgilbert

tgilbert New Member

Members Ride:
    MY12 SSV sedan
    Where did you get this from? What was the performance impact? I presume from the pic that yours is a Maloo?

Have you come close to your fuel saving goal yet? My brother-in-law fitted a straight-through system to his CV8 and gets below 9L/100KM now. But it's VERY loud.

15. davey g-force

davey g-force I'm a sceptic...

Members Ride:
    02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
    Umm... headers and extractors are two terms for the same thing!

16. kiwicon

kiwicon Active Member

Members Ride:
    VS V8 Manual
    reverse headers ... 90deg bends out the guards... that should just about be loud enough ;)

17. tgilbert

tgilbert New Member

Members Ride:
    MY12 SSV sedan
    Sorry if I'm not getting my terminologies quite right. In my era, headers were like an integrated one-piece manifold (shorter than extractors). Or at least I thought they were :)

18. PIR4TE

PIR4TE Banned

Members Ride:
    Black Pearl
    That system is fine, not as well suited to the car as the Wildcats though. $500 more too.

The car in the video is mine, 6.0 same as yours, and I'm that handsome fella cursing at the start! With the Wildcats, HFC and Xforce 2.5" system I mentioned, you can expect more outright power than a stock VE GTS and a hella more acceleration and drivability riding the torque improvement at lower RPM, when tuned.

Yeah it takes a bit of planning to get the final setup right, set of adjustable rear silencers make a huge difference.

No not yet at 10ยข, but close. Using the Gen V LT1 as a benchmark, it's been interesting to explore the ragged edge of combustion phasing with a wideband controller and MacBook on an LS - low temperature, high compression, injector timing, valve events, etc. I think it's possible to get below 7L/100KM combined.

19. mpower

mpower Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
    I think you are confusing exhaust manifold and headers/extractors - either way it's just terminology and I'm sure everyone knew what you meant.

20. tgilbert

tgilbert New Member

Members Ride:
    MY12 SSV sedan
    Too kind mpower. I'm stretching my memory back several decades since I last modified an exhaust system! Doesn't make me want to do it any less though.